Your opinion on the better deal?

reice05

Ok im lookin at these 2 setup on craigslist thats for sale and im new to saltwater so i want your expert opinions on which one would be a better deal.
The first one is a 75g setup and comes with-
- JBJ Power Compact light hood, 4 x 65 watt. with 2 seperate switches and power cords. (just bought all new bulbs in August)
- Berlin Sump or external protein skimmer
- 150 Watt ebo-jager water heater
- 15 watt Angstrom UV sterilzer
- 25 Gallon Custom Sump with bulk head fittings for Skimmer Return
- Hanging Over flow and Water Return
and the second one is a 55g with-
-coralife super skimmer for up to 65 gallon
-maxi-jet 900 and a aquaclear 70 powerhead
-Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight W/ 4-65W Straight Pin Base And 4-3/4W Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED Lamps
And they both come with all testing equip and etc oh yea they both want 400$ obo

rs1831

I would go with the 75. Have you priced everything out to see how much it would cost new. I would upgrade the lighting so thats why I would check out the cost. See if you can get the 75 a little cheaper without the lighting.

reice05

well i priced the light for the 55g and it was 320$ i kinda like the 55g better cuz its only a year old and because of the space i got to put it, the 75g is 8 years old but well maintained by a hobbyist.

rootx69

I would go with the 75 gal. Looks like you would have most very thing that u need to get started. You may want to upgrade the lights but they will be good to start with and maybe even for quite awhile depending on what you’re thinking about keeping in your tank. Also with standard tank the only difference in size is that the 75 gal is 18 inches wide and the 55 gal is 12 inched wide all other dimensions are the same. You will really like that extra 6 inches.

reice05

i think i see where this is goin....basically the 75 since it has a sump..the 75 does have livestock but i told the guy if i could purchase just the tank and equipment since i have 0 experience with saltwater and i wouldnt wanna kill the fish etc...but heres what he had in it oh and i think he sold the fish...
-70 Lbs of Well purpled Live Rick (Figi)
- Hundreds of Purple/Green/Blue (yes all three in one) Mushroom Aenomes
- Bunches of hermit Crabs and Snails
- 40 lbs of Crushed Coral and coral 'sand'

1knight164

Originally Posted by Reice05
http:///forum/post/2734989
i think i see where this is goin....basically the 75 since it has a sump..the 75 does have livestock but i told the guy if i could purchase just the tank and equipment since i have 0 experience with saltwater and i wouldnt wanna kill the fish etc...but heres what he had in it oh and i think he sold the fish...
-70 Lbs of Well purpled Live Rick (Figi)
- Hundreds of Purple/Green/Blue (yes all three in one) Mushroom Aenomes
- Bunches of hermit Crabs and Snails
- 40 lbs of Crushed Coral and coral 'sand'
Take tank AND livestock!!! Then add fish slowly until you get the hang of it. Save you $$$$! Live rock is expensive.

mr_x

first i'd offer him 350.00
then i'd get some rubbermaid bins and go to his house and take out the tank water, and put it in these bins, and put the live rock in that(to keep it submerged).
then remove and discard the crushed coral. transport the tank to your house..rinse well, and set it up. put the rock and water back in, and top off with some freshly made salt water. you might not even get a cycle.