Your preference? Decent skimmer?

reefman22

Well I've had my 55 reef up for about a year now and I've been running the Penguin 330 HOB filter and another not so great HOB skimmer. Yes, I know... So! I'm finally upgrading to a sump for up to 100 gallons and I'm looking for a decent skimmer for a 55 reef that wont drain the pocket right after Christmas. I have a UV sterilizer and lots of live rock and sand for natural filtration, I just need some suggestions for a skimmer. If you could also put a price you think it goes for that would be great too! Thanks!!

reefman

cdangel0

I personally love the ASM skimmers. For a 55g you probably only need a 2G but I am a firm believer in "Bigger is Better" and run a G3 on my 75. They are pricey new, but you can pick them up used for $150-$200.
Octopus skimmers are the same design as ASM and run a little cheaper for the budget minded.

gman08016

If it is going in the sump ASM makes a nice skimmer for the money.There G-1mini would work fine for it.I have one on my 150 and works great.Going to up grade my sump in the spring and going up a G-2 or G-3.

reefman22

Ok thanks guys. So would the G1 be sufficient? Id rather go with the better one (obviously) but dont know how much of my wallet to shell out (obviously). thanks for the help though!
reefman

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Reefman22
http:///forum/post/2894214
Ok thanks guys. So would the G1 be sufficient? Id rather go with the better one (obviously) but dont know how much of my wallet to shell out (obviously). thanks for the help though!
reefman
G1x
will do it easily BUT why get that for $250 when the *updated* 2x over since the ASM line intro Euro-reef RS80 and RS80P (same design as RS80, cheaper materials but not as cheap as ASMs materials) cost $250 and $200 respectively. ASMs intention from the start was to offer euro-reef performance for less by using PVC materials and the same pumps. why get the copy when they cost the same now and one has better materials and build, an updated pinwheel and the better neck design its always had

If your going to get a copy get a Vertex! the bodies are virtually identicle to the Euro-reef (vertex started by ex euro-reef employees). the ONLY difference is the collection cup union which euro-reef has a patent on and it has a bubble plate (most likely for gimmicktry like my PS120 octopus). Its basically a euro-reef with a cheap Resun pinwheeled pump but with upgraded ceramic shaft for improved reliability. Vertex IN80 has the same dimension as the RS80 but cost $130. build quality is identicle to Octopus (which is good). you can upgrade sizes to IN-100,180,250 which all coincide with Euro-reef sizes (the number is the max gallon rating BTW). If your worried about the 80 size being too small you can get the IN100 for $150 or IN180 for about $200.
ASM G1x

euro-reef RS80

Vertex clones RS80 would be the 2nd one pictured
http://www.***************.com/proline/vertex-skim.jpg
then there's always the Octopus NW-150. Its the same body size as the Vertex/Euro-reef 100s. there's a new pinwheel out for the pump to get it up to speed ($40). some dont care for the new funnel neck design but its proven to be a decent performer and inexpensive.

ANY and I mean ANY of these options will easily do a 55g for under $250 so its just a matter of who you want to try and trust and if you feel the sedra pumps of the euro-reef/ASM are worth the premium over the octopus/vertex lines. I see no reason to spend more or go bigger for a 55g (if you needed more skimmer than these you wouldn't have to ask).

C

calvertbill

LOVE the entire MRC line.
My large tank has an MRC-4R
Great support also!