Your thoughts/comments on a 1G nano tank

I know a 1G is kind of small but I have a 1G tank that I was to setup in my office at work. Is this easily done? Will I need a filter? I am guessing I would have about 2LBS of LR and about 1-2LBS of Live Sand from an established FOWLR 75 Gallon tank.
What are my options for filtration ect. Also what would I be able to keep in there?
Thanks for any comments, suggestions and well I guess flames.

justinx

Filtration would not really be neccessary, it would be accomplished through the use of LR and LS. However, I would strongly suggest a bigger tank. Possibly a 5 gallon. A one gallon tank would almost be pointless after the LS and LR were in place. But if you do decide to do it, zooanthids, maybe a tiny leather or something would work. Shrooms, etc. No fish, only a snail or maybe a hermit crab. Thats probably max though. I think a bigger tank would be a better idea.

I wish I could get a 5 gallon tank but I do not think my company would like it too much ;).
I was thinking about just a desk lamp myself, along with 1 tiny hermit and 1 tiny turbo snail to be my clean up crew :)
As for live stock that is all that would be in there, no fishies at all.
What kind of frags would I be able to throw in there?
And also I think it is a pretty cool Idea, just for something to look at while I am sitting at my desk with nothing better to do.
I did have it setup as a 1G fresh water but I broke my back in march and when I went back to work it was FILTHY because no one was able to take care of it (plus I had it overstocked in the first place), much to my dismay though 1 fish is still alive and now in my 10G freshwater at home.

justinx

Well, I forgot that this is for your work. I think that I would go with the desk lamp, but remember that these are lower kelvin bulbs and will promote algae. As for stocking, I think that a snail, a crab (emerald, or hermit, etc), and only zoanthind corals. They are rather low light demanding corals, come in a WIDE variety of colors, spread rapidly, and dont sting eachother. Shrooms are cool too, but they get too big IMO and would "Clutter" a 1 gallon tank.
Let me know if I can help any more
HTH
Justin

Originally posted by plhsurfer
Here is an early pic of mine.. now resides at work on my desk.

Hey what kind of filter is that? that think is tiny, also what type of light is that and how much upkeep does your need?
Also why size is the tank

reeferdude

It is actually a beta tank. I remembered seeing it in a that fish place catalog for $26.99. I can't link to it because I had to do a search but here are the item numbers.
Red-ZU0040
Blue-ZU0042
Clear-ZU0044
Yellow-ZU0041
Green-ZU0043
Mignon Filter-ZU0045

plhsurfer

Azoo Mini Tank approx. 1 Gallon.. comes with Tank, Light, HOB Filter. Purchased online. Light is a 13W PC light. Daily water top off and everything is fine.

reeferdude

Did you put in a 50/50 bulb or does it even need it with 13 watts per gallon, also no water changes just top offs? Rock and sand take care of the trite problem or just nothing to make um?