your thoughts on a fluval fx5

fooseball08

What are your reviews on using a fluval fx5 canister filter for a 150 FOWLR tank... Right now i am using a cascade canister filter on my 58g FOWLR with no problems... I am thinking of upgrading to a 125 to 150 g tank.... what do u think

okay, I have this filter. I have had trouble keeping my nitrates down. You have to clean the sponges and replace/clean material in the canister whether bioballs or other. This is kind of a pain to do and messy. The nitrates have stressed my yellow tangs a bit. No losses.
However, I recently came across the berlin system and it is cheaper and better than the canister filter. I have been told with a 30 or 40 gallon tank underneath the tank, some pvc, a few other pieces, about $150 for a pump you can create your own. I am just getting into this so I really don't know much more than that. Also you need LR. Apparently, there is no way to mess up this way of filtering and the only downside is the cost of LR. Also with the canister filter, you can get some wierd bacteria growing. I have a thread that says berlin system. Not much response yet. But I would do your homework and think twice before buying this canister filter. Even if budget is your reason, the berlin method is still better because it isn't expensive. I hope others respond to this thread. I would be interested to hear what they say.

kaliman33

I have the Fluval 305, been running on my reef tank for months, (56 gal) changed out the charcol once, have UV, no probloms what so ever,
i dont know what the diffrence is to the fx5, but again, love mine

I myself am getting into different ways of filtration, and I upgraded from a HOT to a Fluval 205 3 months ago. So far I've not been happier, but learning about sumps and refugiums and all that I'm thinking of upgrading again down the road.
I've seen the FX5 listed on ---- and labeled "The Best". I'm going to disagree completely because it is after all a canister filter. It has a few levels of media and you need to clean it once a month anyway. Maintenance is buying new carbon and stuff as well.
For a 90gal.+ tank I'd seriously look into wet/dry's, refugiums, etc... Those will do better than a canister filter in the long run. You're going to spend some cash on a canister anyway, so take the extra few bucks difference and get a wet/dry and/or refugium.
Like I said I have a canister, but now I'm going to upgrade. the only plus so far is I may be able to work it so my canister works as a pump for a refugium.

canman

I have a 125 with a jbl 4 stage cannister with a built in uv steralizer and it is great. The uv keeps the parasites away and the water crystal clear. I was thinking of doing a sump, but my tank is not drilled and everybody wanted way to much to drill bulkheads. I had a tank with an overflow before and it was such a pain. I give a
to the cannister especially in a fowlr. Just make sure to have a really good skimmer.