YT with cloudy eyes:(

reeffreak9

My yellow tang recently came down with cloudy eyes. There are no signs of ich on her or the other fish in the tank. I don't know what the cause is, and I don't know how to treat it.
It does not seem to be too serious...yet. I know these little signs usually take a sudden turn for the worse over night. :scared: I have had her for about 8 months, happy and healthy. :happyfish I really don't want to lose her, any help will be greatly appreciated.

lion_crazz

What are your water levels? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, kH, salinity, and temp)
What are you feeding this fish?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by reeffreak9
My yellow tang recently came down with cloudy eyes. There are no signs of ich on her or the other fish in the tank. I don't know what the cause is, and I don't know how to treat it.
It does not seem to be too serious...yet. I know these little signs usually take a sudden turn for the worse over night. :scared: I have had her for about 8 months, happy and healthy. :happyfish I really don't want to lose her, any help will be greatly appreciated.

What size tank is she in, what other tank inhabitants are there, how old is the system, what has she been eating, and what are your EXACT water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, kh, ph, temp, salinity?
LOL can't beat a shark to anything I guess!!!!

reeffreak9

My Levels are:
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate under 10
ph 8.1
salinity 1.022
temp steady 80
size 55 gal
setup since April 06
she eats a varried diet of formula one, and formula two pellets, seaweed salad, and some frozen marine cusine. She goes crazy over the seaweed salad.
Only fish in the tank now. there were two clowns that I just transfered to thier own setup. They show no signs of any illness. My brittle star is getting rather large and recently ate a maroon clown and a chocolate chip star, so I figured the two percs would be next if I did'nt move them. Besides I'm reading and researching breeding the clowns so thier own environment was inevitable.

sepulatian

The only thing I can see is not enough variety and veggies in her diet. Tangs are herbivores. They are used to grazzing all day in the ocean. Can you offer her some more veggies like some nori sheets on a veggie clip? Also formula 2 frozen is awsome, the seaweed salad is great (which is why she responds to it so much) also, jullian sprugs sea veggies are a good idea. Try soaking foods in fresh garlic(there are instructions in Beth's diseased fish post). If you can't find them, let me know. You should also be dosing the food with a rotation of vitamins. Let us know if you need clarification on any of this!

reeffreak9

Thank you for the advice! I do use fresh garlic on some of her foods (thanks beth!), but I do not dose with any vitamins. What should I look for and where can I get it? I hope she will be ok. She seems to be fine except the cloudiness. Is there anything else I can do?

sepulatian

Thank you for the advice! I do use fresh garlic on some of her foods (thanks beth!), but I do not dose with any vitamins. What should I look for and where can I get it? I hope she will be ok. She seems to be fine except the cloudiness. Is there anything else I can do?
Along with the garlic and a varried diet consisting mainly of veggies, the vitamines you want are: Vitachem, selcon & zoe. There are others, but these are the ones that have the most benefits.

bill109

i dont know if you wanna use chemicals cus melafix works wonders.. takes a week and its gone i did the same thing for one eye it worked and no problems since.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bill109
i dont know if you wanna use chemicals cus melafix works wonders.. takes a week and its gone i did the same thing for one eye it worked and no problems since.
na, best to leave fish to their own vices. A healthy immune system.

reeffreak9

Update, I woke up this morning and her eyes were clear! They are still clear, it must have been the extra dose of garlic in her food. I haven't gone to get her vitamins yet, but I will. She is acting her same happy self, wow am I glad! So, sepulatian do I just get the vitamins from my lfs? I've never seen them.
I've heard melafix works for cloudy eyes, but I don't know if it is harmful to inverts or anemones? I used it in one of my fw tanks but am scared to use meds in sw.

sepulatian

Update, I woke up this morning and her eyes were clear! They are still clear, it must have been the extra dose of garlic in her food. I haven't gone to get her vitamins yet, but I will. She is acting her same happy self, wow am I glad! So, sepulatian do I just get the vitamins from my lfs? I've never seen them.
I've heard melafix works for cloudy eyes, but I don't know if it is harmful to inverts or anemones? I used it in one of my fw tanks but am scared to use meds in sw.
It is best not to use meds if you can avoid it. Melafix is reef safe, but it will make your skimmer go nuts. I personally have had good results with it, but other members disagree as to it's effectiveness. As far as the vitamines go, pick up some vitachem, selcon and zoe. These are what I use and also seem to get pretty good reviews by other members as well. Use these in rotation (not the same one everyday).Garlic in her diet regularly will help keep her healthy also. I am very happy to hear that her eyes have cleared up!!