Yucky BLACK-RED algae

I really need all the help I can get with this one. So I've been fighting this for weeks now and I don't know what to do. I have this gross looking blackish reddish 'algae' on my rocks. I have been doing water changes and I siphoned some of it off with a turkey baster but it keeps coming back and now it is spreading to some of my other rocks. BTW I have a FOWLR. 45G with 2 clowns, 1 serpant star and a bunch of hermit crabs.

catfishcity

it is probably cyano. i have been battleing the same thing on my sand for about 3 months now. you can use chemicals but i wouldnt cause sometimes it will mess up your tank. you can do lots of water changes and try to siphon all of it off. also, you should probably buy a phosphate test kit and test your water for phosphates.

volitan1

I had it about a year ago and have never had it again. This is what i did.
To get rid of it follow these simple steps:
1. Make sure you are using RO water when conducting topp offs
2. Increase flow within the tank
3. do 10-15% water change weekly.
4. If phosphates are high...run some phosphate media.
This should cure it.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by volitan1
http:///forum/post/3073644
I had it about a year ago and have never had it again. This is what i did.
To get rid of it follow these simple steps:
1. Make sure you are using RO water when conducting topp offs
2. Increase flow within the tank
3. do 10-15% water change weekly.
4. If phosphates are high...run some phosphate media.
This should cure it.
I have to agree with this. I had the same problem. Also if you are buying RO from an outside source (Not making it yourself) check it. I found phosphate in both local stores in my area. Since making my own no problems. Also try to feed less and check your lighting. I know when my bulbs are 10 months old or older I see a start of it. This time of year I think temp is also adding to the problem. Hope some of this helps. Good Luck.