Yuma Ricordia

rbaby

So my friend came over and tried to break down the rock my yuma was on because it was just too large and it seemed like my yuma was having difficulty expanding fully because it was just being folded up by the rock.
He cut the rock down to pieces and in the midst of doing so, the yuma detached itself from the rock completely...is this normal? He took some stocking material and loosely tied the yuma to a smaller frag but it's releasing lots of gunk. Will it be okay? Help!
How do I know if it's doomed? Will it start losing its color?

viper_930

Sounds normal to me. My shrooms jump off the rocks when they are disturbed too much. Make sure you first place it in good flow to blow off all the gunk it is releasing, but don't let it get whiplashed by too much current. It should be ok.

rbaby

Thanks Viper for easing my worries...I love this yuma, it's a rainbow. It's kind of folded up a bit right now...seems like it hasn't stretched out at all just yet...parts of it is still unattached but where it's tied down (next to the mouth but not covering the mouth) is holding it down pretty well..
How long does it usually take until they start to un-stress themselves? This yuma has been giving me a heart attack for the past couple of days now as it does weird things a lot of times that makes me wonder. All of its base has never been fully planted on the rock ever since I got it so it always gave me the impression that it was ready to jump ship.
Also once in a while I see it folded up with its mouth huge, then later on it'll close up...I always assumed this was normal but being that this is my first yuma I really don't know.
It's only been a couple of minutes and it was spewing out yucky stuff out of its mouth for a sec, but now it seems that the mouth has closed up...this whole gooey stuff is really scary to me :)...
I put it in very low flow...actually kind of a dead spot and just turkey bastered the gunk off of it. Is it dangerous to have gunk on them? Should I try to take out as much of that as I possibly can?
How long does it usually take for them to re-attach themselves to the rock? I don't know when I should take the garter off.

rbaby

Oh yeah, no one warned me that gunk lives inside those rocks...a huge slug came out of the rock...yuck...that's almost enough to never want me to frag anything...lol

viper_930

I have no experience with yumas attaching themselves, but my shrooms reattach themselves to the rock withing 36 hours.
If your yuma has too much slime around it it may suffocate itself and die.

rbaby

It seems to have gunk under its base, but nothing on the petals or mouth. Is this okay?

wrassecal

If it's stopped releasing it is probably some residue underneath it. As long as it itsn't covered on the top area it will probably be fine. I'd just leave it be for a while and let it reacclimate.

rbaby

I attached it to another piece of rubble with some stocking thread and it seems to have gotten really irritated...it just seemed like it was trying to sandwich it. So I put it in a shot-glass cup with some mesh on top with the rock to hopefully help it to relax a bit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

wrassecal

JMO - you are messing with it too much. It doesn't need mesh or anything over the top of it, no shot glasses or anything other than stick the very middle bottom of it to a rock with a drop of gel super glue. Give it about 30 seconds to set up and put it in the tank where it has light, gentle flow and leave it alone. Here is my orange yuma and that's how I did it.

gregm779

The only problem with the super glue gel is that the mushrooms, ricordias, and yumas produce that slime which may cause them to fall off. I super glue gel almost all frags, when I do any of the above I always try to find pieces attached to any size rock so I can glue the rocks together. The last yuma I glued I let dry for 45 min and put it in the tank. It was fine but dissapeared over night and it was in low flow.