Yummy, we have an old BBQ standby on the menu tonight.

fishtaco

The infamous "Beer Can Chicken", so simple, yet so tasty. I just pulled out my whole bird from the fridge and this afternoon will give it a good rubbing of Yucatan BBQ spice, dig out the heart, liver and other assorted bits and throw them in a pot for a boil for my dogs and everybody is going to have a good dinner tonight.
Besides always turning out really good, I also like the fact that you can just stick this on the BBQ and forget about it for at least an hour before you even have to look to see how it is doing. I salute whoever invented the holder for making this. My only real problem is I only have my home-brews for beer and they are not in a can, so I am going to have to drink a pop and refill fill the can with my beer. Seem like a waste, but I really have zero desire to leave my place today because it is so nice out just to buy a one beer.
Fishtaco

fishtaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/thread/381304/yummy-we-have-an-old-bbq-standby-on-the-menu-tonight#post_3320660
It's rainy and cold here... I'm coming to your house.
You had better hurry, today may be the last truly nice day we have for a long time. I want to just relax in the yard and maybe read a book, but reality is I am getting ready to go out and and mow for the rest of the day and hope I don't have to turn on the headlights to finish the job. LOL
Fishtaco

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtaco http:///forum/thread/381304/yummy-we-have-an-old-bbq-standby-on-the-menu-tonight#post_3320658
The infamous "Beer Can Chicken", so simple, yet so tasty. I just pulled out my whole bird from the fridge and this afternoon will give it a good rubbing of Yucatan BBQ spice, dig out the heart, liver and other assorted bits and throw them in a pot for a boil for my dogs and everybody is going to have a good dinner tonight.
Besides always turning out really good, I also like the fact that you can just stick this on the BBQ and forget about it for at least an hour before you even have to look to see how it is doing. I salute whoever invented the holder for making this. My only real problem is I only have my home-brews for beer and they are not in a can, so I am going to have to drink a pop and refill fill the can with my beer. Seem like a waste, but I really have zero desire to leave my place today because it is so nice out just to buy a one beer.
Fishtaco
This is the only reason i keep budweiser or some commercial beer in my fridge.
Darth (and for guests I don't like or the wifes friends) Tang
P.S. You dont need the stupid special stand. dont cook the organs, give them to the dogs raw. And a soup or bean can works as well.
P.P.S.S. It is called BEER 8UTT CHICKEN!

spanko

Darth, you can balance the chick with the can only?
Henry (has never done beer can chicken) Spanko

spanko

There are some inventive grillers out there, don't know if the stand came first or later.
Henry (I watch the cooking channel) Spanko

spanko

Yup, and the juiciest free range chickens available.
Henry (wonders what the house beer is in heaven) Spanko

reefraff

My brother was big on beer butt chicken until he got a crock cooking dish with a cover, think it's called terracotta. Says cooking chicken in there is way better than BB.

fishtaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/381304/yummy-we-have-an-old-bbq-standby-on-the-menu-tonight#post_3320701
This is the only reason i keep budweiser or some commercial beer in my fridge.
Darth (and for guests I don't like or the wifes friends) Tang
P.S. You dont need the stupid special stand. dont cook the organs, give them to the dogs raw. And a soup or bean can works as well.
P.P.S.S. It is called BEER 8UTT CHICKEN!
Thanks for the tips Darth, I think the last time I had crappy beer in the fridge was when my buddy from Florida was up for a visit and he just can't take much of our local beer. I used the left-over Natural Lights to bait slug traps. Sounds like your grandpa did a lot of BBQ, I sure wish I would have grown-up with a few family members that could have passed down some BBQ tips to me. When I was growing up BBQ was a T-Bone slathered with Kraft sauce and that was about it, so I have had to blaze my own trail. I think I can hold my own very well against the average Oregonian, but making a good beef brisket has turned out to be my white whale.
Fishtaco

reefraff

A friend came over and did brisket to break in my smoker. Besides a slow long cook one thing he did was trim a lot of fat but instead of tossing it he laid it on top of the meat, helps hold in the moisture in the meat.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtaco http:///forum/thread/381304/yummy-we-have-an-old-bbq-standby-on-the-menu-tonight#post_3320979
Thanks for the tips Darth, I think the last time I had crappy beer in the fridge was when my buddy from Florida was up for a visit and he just can't take much of our local beer. I used the left-over Natural Lights to bait slug traps. Sounds like your grandpa did a lot of BBQ, I sure wish I would have grown-up with a few family members that could have passed down some BBQ tips to me. When I was growing up BBQ was a T-Bone slathered with Kraft sauce and that was about it, so I have had to blaze my own trail. I think I can hold my own very well against the average Oregonian, but making a good beef brisket has turned out to be my white whale.
Fishtaco
Meant to add this yesterday. Next time you do this, buy a big can of Bush's or whomevers baked beans...cook left in the can with the top punctured with a can opener. Cook this way. After it is cooked on the grill, pour out the juice over the chicken or whatever you are grilling ....the added flavor is awesome. Save the can for the next beer butt chicken you do...you can fit more beer in it and even add a couple shots of cheap whiskey.....very good.
And I always grill the trimmed off ft over what I am grilling or smoking....if there isn't much fat on the meat I put a little bacon grease on them.

fishtaco

Thanks for the tips Darth and Reef, with winter coming and my wife's promotion up the corporate ladder meaning she will be travelling about 50 percent of the time over the next year I am pretty much looking at the full-time house husband gig for at least the next year and will be doing about all the cooking and BBQ work and just the advice about the brisket might be the difference on the next one I try. I also am going to have to build another dedicated wood-fired BBQ like I had at my last place, I took the custom-made cover with me when I moved since it is some of my best steel fab work ever, but so far it has just sat in the garage collecting dust because I have had so many other projects to work on and the campfire grill works pretty well for everything except brisket and whole turkeys, which are two of my favorite things to BBQ. The last whole turkey I did over my old BBQ was for the last party we had before I moved and we had 25-30 people over, I guess I did a good job on it because by the time I got done visiting and getting a good head of steam on, there was nothing but a very well picked-over carcass and I did not get any of it. LOL
Fishtaco

ironeagle2006

Or do what I am doing Beer But Turkey for Thanksgiving. That will go over Great here. Thing is I have to that sucker in my Oven. My Grill is to short for a Turkey to stand yup in. Oh well maybe Next year when I get my Green Egg Grill I can do it right.