Zebra eel in ick tank

gregstr56

i got ick in my DT tanks so i put my fish in my 50g qt tank. its been 10 days since i have had anything other that one clam and 2 cleaner shrimp in my DT. ive been told that the ick will die after 3 weeks with no live host in the tank? ive been told that cleaner shrimp would not be considered live hosts ..?
i was wondering if a zebra eel could be put in the DT prior to the 3wks period or should i wait to get one.

mike15

Cleaner shrimp and ALL inverts can stay in the main tank (as long as you don't add any anti-ich meds in there) as ich is a protozoan that can only infect fish.
However, I would reccommend waiting to get the eel until after the 3 week period. I have heard that eels are rather resistant to the parasite but its not always a sure thing and it would be better to wait just to be sure that it does not get ich.
Also, I would recommend increasing the DT tanks temperature to around 82 since warmer temperatures simetimes cause the parasite to go through its life cycle faster meaning there is more of a chance that it will have died off after the 3 weeks. While 3 weeks may be enough, I personally would wait 4 to 6 just to be positive it is completely gone but thats just my opinion. Hope this helps,
Mike15

gregstr56

thanks MIke, ya it helps actually i was thinking of buying the zebra eel so i will wait till this is all over thanks

aquaknight

I would second the extended empty time of your DT, 6 weeks would be a minimum suggestion, with 72 days being ideal (I do realize this is a bit unnecessary, but is the only way to be 100% positive).
Indeed, eels are rather Ich resistant. They have a thick leathery hide that covers their bodies and scales. However, they are still susiptable to infections in the gills and would definitely pass that along once the fish rejoin.