zebra eel in reef tank?

deelucky

as the title states i was wondering if it is a good idea to put a zebra moray in a 125gal reef setup.i would like to get one but i want to make sure first if this is a disaster waiting to happen.thanks all

sebae09

good job, now heres what i have.
Common Name: Zebra Moray
Species Name: Gymnomuraena zebra (Shaw, 1797)
Range: Indo-Pacific Ocean: Red Sea and East Africa to the Society Islands, north to the Ryukyu and Hawaiian Islands, south to the Great Barrier Reef; also eastern central Pacific: southern Baja California, Mexico and from Guatemala to northern Colombia
Size: Up to 54 inches (135 cm)
Natural Environment: Inhabit sandy and rocky coastal areas
General Husbandry: Has a wide temperature range of 68 - 82°F (20 - 28°C) and will accept a wide range of meaty foods, yet prefers mostly crustaceans. Feed once or twice a week using a feeding stick. Should have enough rocky areas/caves to hide in and is considered one of the most mild mannered morays. More nocturnal and generally hides by day.
your only going to have problems with your shrimps/ sick fish that the eels know are sick and he will take advantage of that.

deelucky

sound pretty good the only shrimp in the tank are cleaner shrimp,and the reason i decided on the zebra is like you stated because of there mild mannered.i would like to hear a lil more before i take the plunge.thanks

jon321

Make sure rockwork/corals are well secured, especially as it grows. They can get quite active around feeding time and WILL knock stuff over if its not epoxied. Will also need good filtration to keep your nitrates low, these guys can make ALOT of waste as they grow. Other than eating shrimp and small crabs like emerald or sally lightfoot, they wont bother anything else.
Better eel choices for a reef tank would be the golden dwarf moray (Gymnothorax melatremus), or the white ribbon eel (Pseudechidna brummeri). Both are hardy, quite small, and probably wouldnt even bother larger shrimp and crabs and certainly wont knock over rockwork/corals.
Jon

jon321

Originally Posted by deelucky
sound pretty good the only shrimp in the tank are cleaner shrimp,and the reason i decided on the zebra is like you stated because of there mild mannered.i would like to hear a lil more before i take the plunge.thanks
Zebra moray WILL eat cleaner shrimp sooner or later. Some people have kept them together with success, but I doubt that lasted for more than a few months.
Jon