Zebra moray eat a lion?

barry cuda

I'm thinking about fish for my "someday" aggressive setup, and I'm a really big fan of both zebra morays and lions (especially antennata and volitans). The only thing that gives me pause is that the LFS has about an 8-foot green moray in their large display tank that the staff says they've seen eat at least 3 lions.
Now, that's a big-a$$ eel. Would a smaller one like a zebra be likely to eat lions? Just wondering if this is a plausible fish combination.
Thanks!

balistidae

the zebra is one of the most docile species. All of your fish should be alrite...they do get very large though. Maybe also check out snowflak eels.

jared

I've never raised either, but I've researched both. Also, I'm a complete newbie. IMHO, I wouldn't invest a lot of money in it because they may fight, wich would injure or kill both. I dunno, I'm stubborn (loses me a lot of money!) and I'd probably try it anyway. Wish I could help more.

xdetroiter

Alamo Aquatics should not have that 8+ foot green Moray in that baby tank IMO !!!!! I've seen it many times there & it's not only cramped but it looks incredbily sad & suicidal. They only feed it when they feel like it too so it's always incredibly hungry! I don't like that store at all & I question their ethics on the handling & keeping of all their livestock! They had a 2 foot redtail cat in what looked like a 30 gallon too, I just don't dig that store at all & the reptile side of the store is even worse.......I won't patron either anymore.
Try Fintique or Texas Tropicals, stores that actually care about their fish.
I too am doing the Zebra Moray in a 190 w/trigger, grouper & tusk. The lions are cool too & the Zebra won't touch it. Go here to www.wetwebmedia.com Any question you have about Zebras or any other eel on the planet will be answered here.
Good luck & I hope I helped!

S

sebae0

if you get a less aggresive eel you will be fine, my lion and i would think that all lions, are not outrght aggressive to other tankmates they are predatory fish though and anything small enough to fit in there mouths they will try to eat.

barry cuda

Xdetroiter, it's interesting that you and I have some very differing impressions on our local fish stores. I've been to Fintique and the only word that comes to mind is "dungeon." The place was dark, smelly, messy, and I saw numerous dead and sick fish in their tanks. I agree that I have had doubts about the condition of some fish at Alamo, but in contrast to Fintique and the other store I've been to locally here (honestly don't remember the name - I stayed in there about five mins and left in disgust) at least everything in the stock tanks when I've been there has been belly-down and moving.
Just out of curiosity, what's your source on the lack of feeding of that moray at Alamo? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but did the staff actually say that? I definitely do only want to patronize stores with good practices.

barry cuda

It sounds to me like what we're saying is that the green moray is just a poor choice for the hobby aquarist in general, due to size and space needs. The only public aquarium I'm aware of in San Antonio is the one on the zoo grounds, and their largest tank is smaller than the one at the store.
Which leads to an interesting question. We as hobbyists are advised to take a fish back to the LFS if it proves or becomes unsuitable for our tanks. What does the LFS do with a specimen that's too large to keep? Are there any rescue organizations for tropical fish?

xdetroiter

Barry,
Yes Fintique is a dungeon but when I went there wasn't any probs w/their tanks or fish. I was there 2 wks. ago. They had an awesome baby Snowflake eel. Everything looked good to me, but maybe I went on the wrong day. I don't frequent it because I don't care for the part of town it's in & I compared it to Alamo, which I just don't like at all. So far, Texas Tropicals is a great store but then again, they sell Alligator Gars there & that's another Moray Eel kind of fish that should be left in large waters. In reality there really isn't any around here. The pet trade suffered w/the economy. There is a new one opening up soon on Perrin Bietel called Pets of the Sea. So we'll see if that one is good or not.
The old man at Alamo Aquatics told my husband & I that they only feed the Moray when it starts hitting the sides of the tank & since it's acrylic & the Moray is huge, they fear it will crack it. They've had that huge one up at the register crack because they had it on simple cement blocks. We asked if the Moray ever ate the fish in there & he said no because they put so many rocks in there for that purpose, so the eel couldn't move well & it doesn't. That eel was for sale once when it was a baby & no one bought it so it got bigger & bigger until it just stayed there & the old man feels it's a financial drain & he doesn't care for it.
We drilled him because we wanted to buy it & have it sent to an aquarium on the Gulf but he won't sell it & the reason is because they're all afraid of it there & he hasn't the first clue about how to get it out of that tank! When they feed it, they just chuck food in from a safe distance. It's hard for the eel to get the food because when it sinks, it's pretty much gone, he can't move around in the tank. There's a dude that we met through Pet Stuff on NW Military, through Matt, the owner, we use to keep reptiles & this dude was an ex-employee of Alamo Aquatics & he also said they rarely feed the eel. He works at the zoo now & has thought/tried to get the eel in an public aquarium too, but to no avail.
So, that's the sad eel story. I don't frequent that store because of that eel & I just can't stand to see it in the tank & that's mainly why I don't go into that store. I've investigated ways to transport the eel but financially it's impossible w/out pooling a large amount of people to do it. It's all a fine line, it's not animal cruelty because the eel is often fed & it's housed w/proper filtration & etc...so one can only go so far w/the whole thing. I guess if one walked in w/ "x" amount of money & a way to get it, he would sell it, but who knows. That old man's moods are so unpredictable, much like his prisoner, the Green Moray Eel.
Keep a look out for Pets of Sea!

xdetroiter

Originally posted by Barry Cuda
It sounds to me like what we're saying is that the green moray is just a poor choice for the hobby aquarist in general, due to size and space needs. The only public aquarium I'm aware of in San Antonio is the one on the zoo grounds, and their largest tank is smaller than the one at the store.
Which leads to an interesting question. We as hobbyists are advised to take a fish back to the LFS if it proves or becomes unsuitable for our tanks. What does the LFS do with a specimen that's too large to keep? Are there any rescue organizations for tropical fish?

Doubtful but in San Antonio, there's a lot of drug dealers & eccentric rich people who want to house enormous & dangerous fish & have the means to. And I have a feeling that is where they end up, back in someone's living room but this time in some zoo-like enclosure.

innsmouth

The only public aquarium I'm aware of in San Antonio is the one on the zoo grounds, and their largest tank is smaller than the one at the store.
I live in Baltimore, home of the National Aquarium. I'm sure they could figure out what to do with it if they had the funds. They have an intensive rescue program for marine mammals and reptiles. I wonder if enough people complained and cried and whined and wrote if it would attract their interest? I doubt it, this kind of thing probably is going on all over the country and you can't save em all..........:mad: