Zoanthid problem

smarls

In advance, thanks for any help (the help from this board has made my tank what it is today).
I have a nice colony of Zoanthids doing great, growing and starting to spread to the surrounding rocks...and then...of course, something goes terribly wrong!
All of a sudden, from out of nowhere, this Aptasia pops up in the middle of the colony. (I have no idea where it came from as I haven't added anything else to my tank in six months...but that is besides the point). I found two other Aptasia which I "shock and awed" to much succes.
My question is how do I eradicate (yes, destroy with a smile) this last aptasia without hurting the Zoanthid colony that it is in the middle of? Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks,
Stewart

cprdnick

I agree with squishy, a couple of zoos now is better than all of them in a month.
Prepare stock solution
1. 1 tsp. pickling lime - food grade calcium hydroxide
2. 2 tbls. tap water.
boil water and lime in microwave for 40 sec.
keep closed plastic container in cool place.
You will need a vet syringe from a pet store that sells vaccinations
This mixture comes out of the needle very thick. You do not need to inject the Aiptasia.
Just release a small amount on to the aiptasia and it will take it in. This mixture seems to stick to the
anemone, but it does not stick to the other inverts.

aegiale

Do you think you could post a picture of it? I have a questionable anemone in my tank and when I did a search of it (aiptasia) on Google I couldn't get such a great picture. I thought mine was a baby Curly Q Anemone (because I have a large one). Now I'm worried.

aegiale

Sorry- I'm new here and forgot about searching this site. I'm really upset.. it looks like my "baby curly q" is one of these because it doesn't have rings on its tentacles.
Question: since it's isolated and not near anything it could sting, should I just leave it there? I've heard horror stories about people trying to kill them (ie, more of them popping up, etc.).

smarls

Thanks for the advice everyone.
It sounds like the general consensus is to nuke the aptasia, and maybe lose a few zoos...I can live with that.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Stewart

ty_05_f

I had your same problem on a not so common colony. But what I did was close up all my zoos before i pasted the aptaisia and I ran my finger on the top so they closed up. I don't know if it would help but I think they would have a better chance closed up then open.

cprdnick

That's a good idea if it can be done without making the anemone close up as well. All of the ones that were in my tank closed up when I got within an inch of it.

zanemoseley

I've heard Joe's Juice is very good too, I've heard of people using it on a aptasia inside the mantle of a clam

smarls

Good advice, I will try and close the Zoanthids before attcking the wee bugger.
That Joe's Juice sounds good...maybe I will take a day or two and look for some of that before I do anything.
As always, thanks for the help.
Stewart
ps - Is it just me, or is there always something going on with your tank!!