zoanthid trouble

ric maniac

ok, so i got an awsome rock full of zoanthids and 4 or 5 huge palys. when i got the rock i checked it over after acclimating it to see if there was anything on it, and there was. a little crab came with the rock, and some of the zoanthids had been torn up. i took him out and gave it to a friend. but the problem is that the zoanthids on this rock are starting to turn white and lose their "heads". i dont know what's happening. my other zoos are doing fine and thats the part that has me dumbfounded. my levels are:
0 trites
0trates
8.2ph
0amm
1.0025 sg
any help would be appreciated!

puffer32

Originally Posted by ric maniac
ok, so i got an awsome rock full of zoanthids and 4 or 5 huge palys. when i got the rock i checked it over after acclimating it to see if there was anything on it, and there was. a little crab came with the rock, and some of the zoanthids had been torn up. i took him out and gave it to a friend. but the problem is that the zoanthids on this rock are starting to turn white and lose their "heads". i dont know what's happening. my other zoos are doing fine and thats the part that has me dumbfounded. my levels are:
0 trites
0trates
8.2ph
0amm
1.0025 sg
any help would be appreciated!

Do an iodine dip on the zoos, that usually helps zoos to recover from truma.

puffer32

Just take the zoos out of the tank and place it in a small container with some tank water, about 2 cups, and use a dropper to put a couple of drops of iodine. I have used a full tsp before and it worked in the past. The zoos actually opened in the container cause i floated the cup in the tank while dipping. I leave them in the iodine for 20 mins.

deltablack22

I just had an issue with this recently... I removed the ones I thought were dead because the dead/dying material continued to kill the rest of the colony... Once I did this I stopped losing polyps.

ric maniac

Originally Posted by puffer32
Yep, thats what i use. How was the movie?
it was easily one of my favorites!

ric maniac

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
I just had an issue with this recently... I removed the ones I thought were dead because the dead/dying material continued to kill the rest of the colony... Once I dead this I stopped losing polyps.
thanks, ill try this as well.

ric maniac

i found the reason they were dissapearing!! it was a zoanthid eating nudibranch!
im going to do a fw dip on all of my zoanthids. how do i do the fw dip is my only question. lol

bronco300

just dip em in FW 5-7 minutes, make sure water temp etc is the same...and be careful as i am not sure FW will get nudi eggs, so you may have to do it again later

P

pasphotography

MAN... I tell ya! I got a couple frags from a store and they were loaded with nudibranch's!!!! I wont say what store here in IL, because I didnt FW dip them and I should have as well as QT them.
The story goes... I stopped by two days before vacation almost two weeks ago and got the $5 frag sales. I bet I found 10 of those suckers on 4 frags today when I got back. All but 3 were very small, (3) were a 3/8" long and the others were 1/8 - 1/4 inch. So I am looking at my Zoa's and a couple have spiral of dots, are those eggs????? Am I going to be watching my corals like a hawk for them turds now instead of watching growth?
First thing in the a.m. I'll be FW dipping all my Zoa's. Just my luck I get them spreading well and now I have a couple heads fall off and a couple with holes in the side.

P

pasphotography

MAN... I tell ya! I got a couple frags from a store and they were loaded with nudibranch's!!!! I wont say what store here in IL, because I didnt FW dip them and I should have as well as QT them.
The story goes... I stopped by two days before vacation almost two weeks ago and got the $5 frag sales. I bet I found 10 of those suckers on 4 frags today when I got back. All but 3 were very small, (3) were a 3/8" long and the others were 1/8 - 1/4 inch. So I am looking at my Zoa's and a couple have spiral of dots, are those eggs????? Am I going to be watching my corals like a hawk for them turds now instead of watching growth?
First thing in the a.m. I'll be FW dipping all my Zoa's. Just my luck I get them spreading well and now I have a couple heads fall off and a couple with holes in the side.

bronco300

the eggs will be little dots yea....and yes watch em like a hawk for a while...because from what i know the FW dips don't kill the eggs...so you'll have to wait till those hatch to kill em off right away....stupid nudis

ric maniac

ok... i did the fresh water dip finally and i am shocked at what came out! i got 2 crabs (with sharp pincers), about 8 nudis, and about 10 worms that came OUT of a protopaly!!!!

dreamer44

Originally Posted by ric maniac
ok... i did the fresh water dip finally and i am shocked at what came out! i got 2 crabs (with sharp pincers), about 8 nudis, and about 10 worms that came OUT of a protopaly!!!!
how in the world did all that fit on/in a zoo...? they are so tiny!

Lori

ric maniac

oh, no not all out of one!! LOL! just the worms came out of the protopaly. and i took care of the problem and all is well. i will not be ordering coral from this site again because i havent been happy with the last few orders.