Zoanthids dying but acros doing great??? Please help me

jamie814

Can anyone tell me what is going on with my zoos they have stopped spreading some have disinigrated and others are always slimed up and hardly open. I have had this tank for years and keep acro's fine in it. I have not seen any parasites on them. Please any advise? I already lost a colony of eagle eyes.

2nd pic show them next to a healty colony I just got.

petjunkie

Have you tried dipping them in freshwater or Lugols at all? Maybe you have spiders or nudis and just can't see them.

cowfishrule

out of the blue, my zoos last week just decided to stop opening.
i'm hoping its just a water quality issue.
anybody? ideas?

fishgeek01

This seems like an epidemic of some kind, I am also having this problem as well as a bunch of other people I know. Out of the blue my zoos are not opening, and some are disappearing as well, no predators, no snails, no nudis, no bugs. And just like the original poster, my tank has been up for years, and I keep a full tank of sps and they all look great. I need the same help as well...

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
also having this problem..... portion of the colony wont open..
Im going to try the lugols
I would go this route, except being a very mature reef this is not an option for me. My rocks are all stuck together with the various corals I have, anyone else know of anything we can do?

king4345

Strange I have a colony doing the same thing... Everything else is thriving in the tank. This tank is established and it would be very hard to do a dip...

efishnsea

My tubs blues are sick as well
. I have the piece in QT and am doing iodine dips everyday. I am also putting the iodine on full strength for a couple minutes just on the affected polyps . They seem to be recovering somewhat as a couple of the polyps are showing signs of life
. I'm on day three and I'll keep ya posted if I have any success.....

allterr

Time of year maybe?...lol...I have seen more posts about this problem the last week or so than any other it seems....

team2jndd

its normal for them to close periodically. Many corals do this. How long has it been going on. There are unfortunately so many things that could be the cause that its almost impossible to offer much help. I think the best thing to do is start with the most obvious (water quality light flow etc) and work your way towards parasites which are more uncommon. I know what you mean about the established tank though. That is a tough situation. If your parameters are all good I would give some time. Are you all spot feeding?

supalupa

I'm having the same problem. Acros doing great certain zoos that I have had forever starting to close up. I am beginning to find more and more hermits on my zoos so they could be closing due to this or the hermits may just be on them because they are starting to decline already.

bullitr

i have the same problem my colt, leathers and everything in the tank is doing so well ,except for my buttons polyps and so many mushrooms what is going on...............

jmesmcm

Wish I had that problem. Mine spread and spread like weeds even growing onto the back glass which I scrape off and throw out. Only thing worse than the zoos was when I had xenia.

bullitr

Originally Posted by JmesMcM
Wish I had that problem. Mine spread and spread like weeds even growing onto the back glass which I scrape off and throw out. Only thing worse than the zoos was when I had xenia.
i want your problem
what kind of tank and system do you have

jmesmcm

120 SPS reef under 20K 400W halide supplemented with 2*96 watt actinic
Zoos came in on a piece of live rock and just spread all over, any rock that has ever toched that rock or when that rock is near the glass the weeds spread.

bullitr

Originally Posted by JmesMcM
120 SPS reef under 20K 400W halide supplemented with 2*96 watt actinic
Zoos came in on a piece of live rock and just spread all over, any rock that has ever toched that rock or when that rock is near the glass the weeds spread.
i have 20 k 400 watts mh too with 260 watts actinic on 225 cube tank ecpect i have soft coral tank . what else do you have equipment? sumps