zoo help

yellowtail

i have a colony and some zoo's from it have creeped onto a piece of lr that is NOT removeable.is there something i can do to get it off that wont have any bad affects in my tank?
1.) could i kalk them and if so should i aim for the mouths?
2.) would scraping them off inside my tank be harmful?
3.)should i remove the excess juices after they are dead?

discusking

Whats wrong with having them grow on other rocks? If your worried about them growing over other corals, dont worry, corals have natural ways of keeping their neighbors in check... why else would they have stingers. If you insist on taking them off, usually u can blast them with strong currents and they will come loose. Hope that helps

yellowtail

Originally posted by YellowTail
i have a colony and some zoo's from it have creeped onto a piece of lr that is NOT removeable.is there something i can do to get it off that wont have any bad affects in my tank?
1.) could i kalk them and if so should i aim for the mouths?
2.) would scraping them off inside my tank be harmful?
3.)should i remove the excess juices after they are dead?

nas19320

Just kalk then like Aips, I do it all the time with some ugly palythoa's that found their way into my tank.

yellowtail

should i remove the excess juices after they are dead?
and is it ok to kalk like 30 aptasia in one sitting in a 40 gallon tank or should i do like 15 then wait a week then do another 15?

nas19320

I wouldn't do them all at once. You may want to try and siphon out any dead flesh if possible. I usually kalk my palyies then srcape the polyps with the siphon hose and get as much of them out as I can.

nas19320

You'll see them begin to rot away. You may want to see if you can just scrape them off, its usually cleaner. The ones that grow on my plastic overflow I just scrape off. The ones that attach themselves in the rock crevices are the only ones I kalk. If you do kalk them do it in the morning when your pH is the lowest.

j21kickster

also- are they zoanthids or palythoas? Palythoa polyps contain palytoxin which i have read to be one of the most toxic natural poisons around, i have never died from it (obviously) but i have heard about its nasty effects, including death- so use caution

j21kickster

yes- protopalythoa have palytoxin as well- which is a neurotoxin
-just use caution latex gloves to protect your hands are a good idea and wash them very well when you are done and that should be all that protection you need- i have actually fraqgged palys with open scrapes on my hand without gloves and i was fine but i could have been lucky- i wouldnt risk it

yellowtail

thanks.
i accidenly kalked all of the zoo's which is around 25 of them, whould this be a problem such as turning my water conditions bad?should i skim alot?
i have a 40 gallon for reference and have a euro reef skimmer is that makes any differnce.