zoo lighting

raidersfan

Zoas can be out under any type of lighting power compacts,t-5's, vho's and metal halides. You need at least 4 watts per gallon regardless of the type. If your using halides start with them low and move them up slowly over time. If they don't appear happy when you move them lower them again.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by bellebelle
What kind of light do zoos need ?
just about any, they can survive in low/medium light, their colors wont be as good and they wont grow as fast, the higher the light the better. In my expirience as long as they are properly acclimated to the light situation they can tolerate just about any lighting. there are however bottom edges to this threshold, they will not survive in a 2.5g with only 10W of pc light I know this from expirience.
so in summation the more light the better.

raidersfan

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
just about any, they can survive in low/medium light, their colors wont be as good and they wont grow as fast, the higher the light the better. In my expirience as long as they are properly acclimated to the light situation they can tolerate just about any lighting. there are however bottom edges to this threshold, they will not survive in a 2.5g with only 10W of pc light I know this from expirience.
so in summation the more light the better.
I have seen zoas thrive in a pico tank with about 10watts of light. It could have been your parameters that caused them to die or not grow.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by raidersfan
I have seen zoas thrive in a pico tank with about 10watts of light. It could have been your parameters that caused them to die or not grow.
the bulb is old, about a year and a half, I think thats why they wouldnt stay open or grow. they didnt die but they werent doing good so I stuck them back in my 75G. I recently added another 7watts to the tank I may try again since you've seen it work, I would love to have zoas in there.

raidersfan

My lfs has 3 of them set up with just colorful zoanthids and they are stunning. Makes me want to set one up just for zoanthids.