Zoo Med Power Sweep

glinton

Does the Power Sweep powerhead by Zoo Med work good? I have heard they break a lot.
Anybody have one? How do you like it?

j21kickster

i have several and never had one break- one that i have is about 1.5 years old and still working well just make sure to clean them every once in a while to keep them turning

iechy

Same here. Mine just needs a little cleaning once in a while so it doesn't get stuck in one position. When the gunk builds up it doesn't likw to trun but other than that is work great

broomer5

I don't mind general tank cleaning - but cleaning poweheads was one of my least favorite tasks.
Cleaning and messing around with Zoo Med (lacking)power-heads was my least favorite of all.
Great idea - poor design.
Mine never performed very well.
I got rid of them and don't miss them at all.

corky

I used to think people who didn't like these were crazy. All seemed well with my sweeper that I bought another. I can say now that I truly hate them!!! I did regular cleanings and still after some time they quite rotating. What's more, I think the suction cups are too small to properly hold them. I have been using and will recommend without any hesitation maxi-jets. (I've experimented with several brands)

jonthefb

i had two of them in my 135 and hated them, they just gunked up too fast, and i eventually replaced them with sea swirls anyways. much better, but also more expensive!
good luck
jon

broomer5

:D jonthefb
Moving up from Zoo Med power sweeps to Sea Swirls is like spitting out a nasty cold hot dog then slicing into a perfectly grilled filet mignon !
Congrats - that has got to be a 180 degree turn of performance.
How do you like them ?

nm reef

I have one....dang thing only moves when I remove it. Did rotate at first....and I did try to keep it clean and functioning...but lost the battle several months ago...now its just a powerhead.
Actually I installed a sump and a Magdrive 1200 return pump so I could eliminate powerheads from my display...I have 2 near the top and 2 low behind the rockwork for additional circulation...but eventually I hope to get rid of all powerheads. In time I plan to run my sump along with a closed loop system that return via 3/4" seaswirls...just a matter of time and money.

kpogue

I got so fed up with mine I finally called them. They offered to replace the unit or send new gears. I opted to go the gear route. I haven't got them yet though. I will say they were more than polite on the phone.
Keith

dinhouse

I have two in my 55 and I think they are fine. Yes you have to clean them everymonth and a half or so but this is a good practice anyway. You should clean your powerheads anyway this helps them operate better anyway. The secret to making the suction cups work is making sure that you are sticking them to bare glass. Try scraping the glass with a razor blade before you stick them to the glass. It took me many months to figure this out but it works for me.