Zoo Question

troyw806

Before getting some zoos I thought I would get the info on how to take care of them such as lighting requirements, food, and common problems. So if anyone with info on zoos would'nt mind imparting a little knowledge on me I would sure love to hear it.

carshark

Originally Posted by troyw806
Before getting some zoos I thought I would get the info on how to take care of them such as lighting requirements, food, and common problems. So if anyone with info on zoos would'nt mind imparting a little knowledge on me I would sure love to hear it.

sorry but i am gonna bust your balls on this one.....dude you are about 2 months from keeping anything new....let your tank settle after these treatments for a while before delving into it...!!!!!lol

troyw806

See info like that helps. Otherwise I would have put the zoos in and lost them just as fast. But for real what type of lighting do I need. I'm not putting anything in till I get the ick problem resolved but after that I'm back to gung ho.

jacknjill

you could have zoos with anything from PC to Metal Halide. They dont need much light. They take what you give them lol. softies like zoos and mushrooms only NEED Pc or VHO but they can take Metal Halide if you acclimate them to it.

smarls

I keep zoas under PC lights, so overall it is not a problem.
However your lighting depends on your tank size. What size tank do you have? If it is a 55 or larger, then I think your lighting is too low for zoas (actually, too low for most anything except mushrooms). But if you have this on a 20 gallon, then yes, I think you would be OK.
Also important for zoas (IMHO) is flow...so make sure you have enough circulation...for softies I would guess around 10x tank volume per hour would be ok.
HTH
Stewart

troyw806

yeah its a 40 gal. but I might be wrong about the lights. I just upgraded from 50/50 last week. I'll check after work and let you know.

smarls

Actually I think 130 watts over a 40 is pretty low...borderline marginal...but that is just my opinion.
I use 240 watts over a 55, with 120 watts of true 03 actinic and 120 watts of 10k, and I think my lighting is marginal.
However, I have no experience with T5s, so I am the wrong person to be chiming in here.
Stewart