ZooMed Poweer Sweep

sharon

Back again. I was up till midnight reading old posts. Boy!! You guys are really informative and helpful here.
But on to my question. Am adding sand to 20 gal. tank this afternoon. I have been looking at the ZooMed Poweer Sweep self-rotating power head. Has anyone ever used one of these?? Would it be a good thing to have or should I look at some other sort of poweer filter?
Thanks for the help :D
Sharon

shootonsite

Although ZooMed has made adjustments to try and improve the PowerSweep, it is still a very poorly made product. Respectable fish stores that test products before selling them won't even carry PowerSweeps. It's best to avoid powerheads not made in Italy. You might want to try rotating swivel type products if you're looking for a low price wavemaker. You can just attach these to a powerhead or your intake. Good luck.

m1rodrig

I am going to buy a small power sweep.If it stops sweeping then I will just leave it as a regular ph.It is cheaper than the other powerheads.$22.00.

psumba

shootonsite:
Could you expand on your two points.
Powerhead products made in Italy - which are these?
rotating swivel type products then attach to powerhead. Who makes them? How much jimmy rigging is involved to attach them?

shootonsite

You'll find that most powerheads and pumps are assembled or made in Italy. In my experience, I've had no trouble with the brands that have them made there.
So far, Rio is the only company that I know who sells these swivels. They have common fixture sizes that adapt to powerheads and intake valves. When turned on, the water shoots out of 2 spouts at an opposite an angle on both ends creating the spinning motion. A whole lot more sensible than buying a wave maker and multiple powerheads.

shootonsite

FFExpress sells the pumps and fittings seperately.
Check it out.
<a href="http://www.ffexpress.com/drygoods/powerheads.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ffexpress.com/drygoods/powerheads.htm</a>

byrself

i had one, then brought it back and got a maxi-jet. very satisfied with it. the zoo med looks cheaply made and doesn't work nearly as well as the maxi-jet in my opinion. ;)

don-9

I have had no problems with my powersweep, but I have read many post/replies from people saying they have. The Rio Motion looks interesting and might work well if it is not attached to a Rio pump. I have 3 Rios and have had problems with all of them, the one driving my skimmer stops quite often and will be replaced soon with a maxi jet.

drkegel

Why are Italian made ones so much better?
I have a power sweep, and never had a problem with it. I am happy with it for sure.