Zoos Disappearing

choowey

For some reason all my zoos are disappearing. This Zoo was 4inches high by 4inches wide.
Tank Parms:
Temp 78.7
PH 8.4
trates = 0
Amonia = 0
Cal = 450
Tanks has been up for over a year and the Zoos have been in for 8 months and had been doing great. They are all disappearing. Any suggestions?

cranberry

I dip all my zoas in either Furan-2 or FWE. Watch for predators such as...
Aeolid Zoa-eating nudi....

And it's eggs....

Or the Sundial Snail...

Laying some eggs.....

There's also the Wentletraps (Epitonium spp.) I don't have a pic of the actual snail. It's on the compact flash card that is in the house somewhere.... somewhere.....
But here's the shell.....

cranberry

There are also sea spiders (Pycnogonid sp)... they can vary in their appearance, some with longer thinner legs, but they all look like spiders and can't be mistaken. These are really hard to spot on your coral.

danriek

It is happening to all my Zoos. I don't see any predators/nudi's.
Should I do a FW dip with Lugal's? or Meds(Furan-2 or FWE). Is there somthing I should do to the whole tank? or just the rocks where the Zoos are?

drea

thats one thing i hate about zoos,, every once in a while it may happen... my wamin watermelons are closing in my big tank for no apparent reason, good thing i have another batch!!!
DAM ZOOS!

danriek

I did the FW dip a couple of days ago with Logals, 15mins, with Triple Sulfa(the only thing I could get my hands on quickly). The Zoo's looked better for a day or so but are almost gone. One or so left.

H

h2ocrazy

I use Tropic Marin's Pro Coral Cure on any new corals I buy, it is a special blend of lugols with other nutrients added to cure corals and kill parasites, and have had no bad mishaps since I have been using it. Anywho...the best thing I have tried on zoas is a 1/10 oxygen peroxide mix with tank water dip. Gotta be careful though, the H2O2 will bubble up the zoa's tissue and hurt it if left in there too long. That dip did wonders when I had almost 10 colonies get white fungus. Reason I did the peroxide was that I read about it on a forum elsewhere...not gonna say where because I honestly can't remember.....either way 1/10 parts was reccommended, but if you are careful enough you can go higher just gotta be careful.

codylowe

Check it at nightime and see if pods are munching on them... Most say it won't happen -- "pods don't eat healthy zoas" -- but they did on mine.
You could try moving them to a different spot. Maybe on the top edge of the rockwork... i noticed all the zoas i put there were never touched by the pods. Hope this helps

greenreefer

Originally Posted by codylowe
http:///forum/post/2714720
Check it at nightime and see if pods are munching on them... Most say it won't happen -- "pods don't eat healthy zoas" -- but they did on mine.
You could try moving them to a different spot. Maybe on the top edge of the rockwork... i noticed all the zoas i put there were never touched by the pods. Hope this helps
Don't mean to hijack, but can you describe what that looked like. Did they actually kill it or just eat the fringe or something like that? never seen that before, but I do have a sixline in my frag tank.

msjenn1979

I'm having the same problem - I cant figure out whats going on... Here's some before and afters..Maybe someone can help me out too.

airandsea

Do you guys have any kind of crabs in the tank. I have an emerald and he jacks with them sometimes. I can always tell it is him because you can see the claw scrapes where the zoas use to be. It drives me nuts

codylowe

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/2715429
Don't mean to hijack, but can you describe what that looked like. Did they actually kill it or just eat the fringe or something like that? never seen that before, but I do have a sixline in my frag tank.

I guess it was Amphipods... these are pics of them (the first one says freshwater but that is what they look like.) -- They would eat all of them, it didn't matter if they were healthy or not... The polyps would just close and start disappearing...

msjenn1979

well I did a water change today, moved the rock closer to the light so I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. HOPEFULLY my 90$ rock will come back to life. I also happen to see something weird on that rock. I did not take a picture as I thought it was a part of the rock but the next day it was gone! It kind of looked like a armadillo shell attached to the rock about an inch long. I knew i should have took a picture but now its gone. I'm hoping I dont have a bad critter in there! As far the crab, I have one hitchhacker crab thats black and HUGE! but he seems to stay way from the zoos and polpys. I likes the red algae. Even if i wanted to catch him it's going to be a pain. He used to be a chicken now he runs the tank. theres one other weird critter I can not take a picture of as its SUPER small. My camera just gets blurry when i try to take the picture. There are lots of small red fast moving bugs on the glass. I dont see any on the corals but then again they are so small. I dont think the are the red acro bugs, or worms. Anyone heard of any of this things?

codylowe

I'm not sure about the red bugs, but you should definitely try to take that crab out of the tank if you don't know what it is. Better to be safe than sorry.

cranberry

Was probably a chiton. I have one acclimating in my photo tank.... will get pics up later. But there are pics everywhere online. They are good critters.

t-bone

Catching the crab could be pretty easy, did this several times. Get a plastic cup/container big enough for the crab and deep enough that he can't crawl out. Put some fish food in it and tilt it up against one of your rocks.
Crabs will crawl in for food and not be able to get out.
Probably catch every hermit in your tank before the big guy but should work.

msjenn1979

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2716599
Was probably a chiton. I have one acclimating in my photo tank.... will get pics up later. But there are pics everywhere online. They are good critters.
So I think I finally got a picture of it. It's a little blurry but it's next to my peppermint shrimp. Also have a snail I can not ID either. Took a picture of it too!
Originally Posted by t-bone

http:///forum/post/2717614
Catching the crab could be pretty easy, did this several times. Get a plastic cup/container big enough for the crab and deep enough that he can't crawl out. Put some fish food in it and tilt it up against one of your rocks.
Crabs will crawl in for food and not be able to get out.
Probably catch every hermit in your tank before the big guy but should work.
Thanks for the advice I'll have to remember that!
I was bad this weekend while doing my waterchange. I went back to the fishstore and bought a frogspawn and a clown. Check it out :O)