zoos dont grow in my tank why?

ibew41

I have a 36g corner tank tec 4 lamp light cal 430,temp81,ph8.2,ammonia 0,trits and trats 0.acans, micromussa, hammer,and candycane grow great.I have dragon eyes and all orange(don't know name)zoos live but don't grow

angler man

Originally Posted by IBEW41
http:///forum/post/2551430
I have a 36g corner tank tec 4 lamp light cal 430,temp81,ph8.2,ammonia 0,trits and trats 0.acans, micromussa, hammer,and candycane grow great.I have dragon eyes and all orange(don't know name)zoos live but don't grow

Some species grow like crazy, some don't. In my tank I have certain types that still have not produced babies, and then I have some that are poping 4-6 a month. I wouldn't worry too much.

ci11337

zoos grew well in my tank at first, but as i added LPS and my shrooms spread they shrunk and are now all but gone.

heatheryjoy

I have some eagle eyes that I bought a while back and they don't seem to reproduce either. I think the frag started with 8 polyps and now I have 9. It's been over 2 months. I would have thought they would have spread by now. My purple mushrooms reproduce like rabbits!

flricordia

I have found that most all corals, especially zoanthids, ricordeas, leathers, etc, will benifit with the addition of iodine. I use Kent's at a rate of 4-8 drops per 50gls daily depending on coral load nd the growth of my ricordeas and zoanthids sometimes scares me because it is so fast. I am one of those always expecting that when things are going too good for me a disaster is just around the corner.

But since I started keeping reefs over 10 years ago I have without fail used Kent iodine, moly/stront and liquid calcium and always had nice growth. Just my observations. Nothing gospel and I don't know everything however and I have no experiance with any other of the iodine products available. And BTW SWF has Kent's iodine, moly/stront and liquid calcium at a good price.

ibew41

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2556708
I have found that most all corals, especially zoanthids, ricordeas, leathers, etc, will benifit with the addition of iodine. I use Kent's at a rate of 4-8 drops per 50gls daily depending on coral load nd the growth of my ricordeas and zoanthids sometimes scares me because it is so fast. I am one of those always expecting that when things are going too good for me a disaster is just around the corner.

But since I started keeping reefs over 10 years ago I have without fail used Kent iodine, moly/stront and liquid calcium and always had nice growth. Just my observations. Nothing gospel and I don't know everything however and I have no experiance with any other of the iodine products available. And BTW SWF has Kent's iodine, moly/stront and liquid calcium at a good price.
I dont dose anything but bionic might try that

reefkprz

just going out on a limb here...
skimmer? yes? no?
ok a friend of mine has a 250g that has all kinds of LPS they all grow like crazy for him he has a red blastomussa the size of a dinner plate. cant keep zoanthids alive they do ok then slowly dwindle away. we pounded our heads together and came up with a theory that we cant prove without a good microscope, he has no skimmer so the stray/shed nematocysts fraom his stinging corals are(possibly) building up in the tank possibly the shed nematocysts that are drifting around are damaging the zoas minutely enough to inhibit growth and cause a gradual decline. this is a theory I want to check out next time I get over to the university for access to some good microscopes.

artie1209

I would suggest starvation High bright light Iodine additions will help. Feeding may help do some research heard they like urchin eggs.

ibew41

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2558021
just going out on a limb here...
skimmer? yes? no?
ok a friend of mine has a 250g that has all kinds of LPS they all grow like crazy for him he has a red blastomussa the size of a dinner plate. cant keep zoanthids alive they do ok then slowly dwindle away. we pounded our heads together and came up with a theory that we cant prove without a good microscope, he has no skimmer so the stray/shed nematocysts fraom his stinging corals are(possibly) building up in the tank possibly the shed nematocysts that are drifting around are damaging the zoas minutely enough to inhibit growth and cause a gradual decline. this is a theory I want to check out next time I get over to the university for access to some good microscopes.
yes I have a skimmer and a fuge

ibew41

Originally Posted by artie1209
http:///forum/post/2558289
I would suggest starvation High bright light Iodine additions will help. Feeding may help do some research heard they like urchin eggs.
I have some sps above and below my zoos(different levels not right next them) so I dont think its my lights

mikesin

Not going to hijack, rather, watch intensely. We have a 75G, skimmer, 20X flow, tekT5 54X6 lighting, water parameters close to yours. ph 8.1, nitrItes o, nitrAtes >5, calc 440, dkh 8, Mag 1300 - 1400,phos 0, sg 1.026, 80*, Open brain, Torch, Trumpet - all of these guys are doing great - our purple PE's and and red PE's died off within two month of purchase, the candy apple green and starfire PE's grew a few polyps then closed for 3 weeks - just starting to re-open but not fully and are still closed more than open. We have been trying to figure out why as well. There has to be a reason

angler man

Originally Posted by Mikesin
http:///forum/post/2561621
Not going to hijack, rather, watch intensely. We have a 75G, skimmer, 20X flow, tekT5 54X6 lighting, water parameters close to yours. ph 8.1, nitrItes o, nitrAtes >5, calc 440, dkh 8, Mag 1300 - 1400,phos 0, sg 1.026, 80*, Open brain, Torch, Trumpet - all of these guys are doing great - our purple PE's and and red PE's died off within two month of purchase, the candy apple green and starfire PE's grew a few polyps then closed for 3 weeks - just starting to re-open but not fully and are still closed more than open. We have been trying to figure out why as well. There has to be a reason

What are you using to test your salinity? hydrometer or refractometer? What kind of flow are the zoanthids/palys in? Are you running active carbon? There is a reason on why you are losing your stuff. Also, did you dip your corals? This could be a preditory issue.

mikesin

We have a refractometer, The zoos are in med to high flow, currently on the bottom substrate NOT near any other coral (we moved them around as well). We run AC once a month for a week. We dipped them in seachems reef dip 3 nights in a row when they started to show signs of something being wrong, it did NOT help. We dont see any predators. IBEW41 & reefkprZ friend have have the same problem, I'm hoping to think/talk this out and maybe find a common denominator. In all 3 cases we are able to grow LPS but not zoo's, is here something to this?

reefkprz

there has to be some sort of link even if its as simple as a trace element that the zoas require and the LPS dont is low.
I'm not familiar with tech 4 lighting what is it?

ibew41

i am not losing my zoos they just dont grow use refractometer also.I have had my zoos for 8 months and maybe had 2 or 3 new heads in that time ,my sps grows faster.My wife gets home today so I might be able to post pics

ibew41

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2561969
there has to be some sort of link even if its as simple as a trace element that the zoas require and the LPS dont is low.
I'm not familiar with tech 4 lighting what is it?
sorry tec fixture that has 4 lamps

reefkprz

Originally Posted by IBEW41
http:///forum/post/2561970
i am not losing my zoos they just dont grow use refractometer also.I have had my zoos for 8 months and maybe had 2 or 3 new heads in that time ,my sps grows faster.My wife gets home today so I might be able to post pics

SPS are great indicator corals. if they are growing your parameters are right on (or fairly close). I would say its lighting. (too much or too little) I have different types of zoas that just stagnate under too much light and others dont grow well in too little light. try moving a colony up or down 3 inches (you'd be amazed how much light intensity can change in three inches of placement.