zoos dont grow in my tank why?

angler man

Originally Posted by Mikesin
http:///forum/post/2561949
We have a refractometer, The zoos are in med to high flow, currently on the bottom substrate NOT near any other coral (we moved them around as well). We run AC once a month for a week. We dipped them in seachems reef dip 3 nights in a row when they started to show signs of something being wrong, it did NOT help. We dont see any predators. IBEW41 & reefkprZ friend have have the same problem, I'm hoping to think/talk this out and maybe find a common denominator. In all 3 cases we are able to grow LPS but not zoo's, is here something to this?
Just to be safe, I would have your refractometer double checked by another reefer, or LFS. Losing your PPE's doesn't suprise me, that might not have been helped. They are ultra sensitive, and I have read about people losing theirs for no apparent reason or very light irritations. If you were dealing with allelopathy, carbon once a week is not enough. Zoa's and Paly's seem hardier than they are, but they are always the loser in the tank with other corals. I have currently over 60 species of coral in my tank, and until I was running carbon 24/7 I was having issues with Zoa's and Paly's. I have no issues anymore. Also, Some Zoa's/Paly's don't like high flow, this may be an irritator for them.
If you see an exoskeleton of what looks like a spider floating around, you probably have a zoa spider. Been there and done that. Dips won't always kill them. If you have some Zoa's or Paly's that look really, really bad, use a Furan 2 dip on them every other day until they re-open. I have brought back some Palys that came to me looking like death warmed over. 1 cup of tank water to 1 packet of Furan 2. If you do this make sure you cut the packet and dump the powder under the water so there is no smoke plume.

I make sure to use atleast 4-6 OZ of active carbon packed tightly(very important) every week. I'm only speaking from my experience and from the experience of serious propagators. Some people hate the idea of running carbon 24/7, I don't blame them because there are negatives to it, but if you don't mind not having certain species of fish and dosing your tank once in awhile this will majorly assist you in keeping a wide array of corals. This is what works for me, and I certianly don't have all the answers and I still can't hold a candle to guys like reefkprZ :), but so far so good. Also, go to wetwebmedia and read/read/read and read some more. That place is awesome!
It has helped me out a lot with my coral keeping.
I really hope this may help you.

reefkprz

all of its great information except this quote
Originally Posted by Angler man
http:///forum/post/2562437
I still can't hold a candle to guys like reefkprZ :).
looks like your holding the candle just fine. very informative response, hats off to you

mikesin

Wow thats great information THANK YOU. I will try what your suggested and read more. Thanks for taking the time and posting everyone.

reefkprz

I'll tell you why your zoas are growing really slow... the ones you have are notoriously slow spreaders.

ibew41

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2562761
I'll tell you why your zoas are growing really slow... the ones you have are notoriously slow spreaders.

thats probably why I got them for 10 bucks at a frag swap
it least its not my tank

reefkprz

of the zoas in all those pictures your green ones with the white subrim and yellow/green frills will probably be the fastest spreaders. and I can tell you all of those zoas LOVE high light. start moving them up over the next couple weeks to high locations in the tank you get faster growth and better color.