Zoos... I think...?

imurnamine

Hi everyone!
My husband and I have had our tank set up for about 6 months now, and we finally bought our first coral.
I'm almost positive it's a Zoo. Theyre little flat discy looking ones, half of them are bright green, the other half is bright orange. We paid about $75 for a fist-sized rock with them.
We have the correct lightings and whatnot, Satellite brand and the people at the LFS said it'd be fine with them.
Recently, only the green ones have been opening... not the oranges. Is that odd?
Their little pouch ball things that they curl up in at night look fine, just... theyre not coming out.
Is this common?

angler man

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
http:///forum/post/2568433
Hi everyone!
My husband and I have had our tank set up for about 6 months now, and we finally bought our first coral.
I'm almost positive it's a Zoo. Theyre little flat discy looking ones, half of them are bright green, the other half is bright orange. We paid about $75 for a fist-sized rock with them.
We have the correct lightings and whatnot, Satellite brand and the people at the LFS said it'd be fine with them.
Recently, only the green ones have been opening... not the oranges. Is that odd?
Their little pouch ball things that they curl up in at night look fine, just... theyre not coming out.
Is this common?
Check your salinity, and make sure they are in moderate flow.

angler man

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
http:///forum/post/2568897
Yessirree.
First off, they are two different kinds. Some Zoa's and Paly's are insanely hardy, some are incredibly sensitive. If both Zoanthids were opening up and now only one is then something has changed or one of the species is more sensitive than the other.
Check all of your parameters to be safe, make sure your salinity is between 1.024-1.026. These things need some flow, nothing direct, but you should see the skirts moving. If they open and the stalks(bodies) are really long, move them up as they need more light. They can take time to open, as long as your parameters are good I wouldn't worry about it.
You need to buy some coral dip if you do not have any and dip your corals before you put them in. Zoa's and paly's are the worst as far as predators. You need to keep a careful eye out for Zoa Spiders, Nudibranchs along with their eggs and snails. Go to Zoaid to see the pics of predators.
Good luck!

bonesnapper

Well, my only guess would be that there are two type of Zoas on a rock, and one could be emitting a toxin. Do you ave a Skimmer, if so what kind(manufacturer).

vayapues

Originally Posted by Angler man
http:///forum/post/2568943
First off, they are two different kinds. Some Zoa's and Paly's are insanely hardy, some are incredibly sensitive. If both Zoanthids were opening up and now only one is then something has changed or one of the species is more sensitive than the other.
Check all of your parameters to be safe, make sure your salinity is between 1.024-1.026. These things need some flow, nothing direct, but you should see the skirts moving. If they open and the stalks(bodies) are really long, move them up as they need more light. They can take time to open, as long as your parameters are good I wouldn't worry about it.
You need to buy some coral dip if you do not have any and dip your corals before you put them in. Zoa's and paly's are the worst as far as predators. You need to keep a careful eye out for Zoa Spiders, Nudibranchs along with their eggs and snails. Go to Zoaid to see the pics of predators.
Good luck!
Very informative post. Thank you.

grabbitt

Are the closed polyps still looking the same as they did the day you came home with them? If they're dying, you'll see them start to wear away with some mushy-looking tissue developing over them. This is necrotic tissue. If you do not see any of this, then I would recommend trying an iodine dip and then give it a little time and see if they open up.
I have had zoos stay closed for over a week before they opened. I just traded some with a member of this forum, in fact. He received about 6 different kinds from me about a week ago, and a couple of them remained closed until JUST last night when they opened up.
As painful as it may seem, patience is sometimes all it takes...

imurnamine

They were opened fine for the first two days. They are getting moved up higher in the tank today. They're not stretched up trying to get light, they (the ones that are actually open, that is). We're taking the water to get tested soon, we lost our testing kit during the move. They aren't under direct blowing from the powerhead...