Zoo's Looks like they are changing

imfsub12

Hello all long time no post...
My tank is going great... My zoo's are changing in my tank.. not sure if they are maturing or what they are doing..
have a look pic will be up soon

imfsub12

BEFORE

it could be cyano, not sure, about ever 2-3 weeks when i do water change i take a turkey baster and blow off my rocks and it keeps them clean for the time being..

perfectdark

YIKES !! indeed... IMO it is certainly Cyano... and IMO too they are dying. The cyano could very well be suffocating them. Take the LR out rinse it off, fresh water light brush. You can also do an iodine dip too, this may help.

clay12340

I don't think that little bit of cyano would kill a colony of zoos. It might kill off a portion of the polyps that were fully covered, but it wouldn't cause the whole colony to change in a uniform fashion like that. I can't say if the change is a sign of illness or not, but it is definitely in response to some condition in your tank. They don't look like they are fully opening. That is typically not a good sign.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Clay12340
I don't think that little bit of cyano would kill a colony of zoos. It might kill off a portion of the polyps that were fully covered, but it wouldn't cause the whole colony to change in a uniform fashion like that. I can't say if the change is a sign of illness or not, but it is definitely in response to some condition in your tank. They don't look like they are fully opening. That is typically not a good sign.

Yea I am not sure how much and how long it takes cyano to hurt corals I just threw it out there as a possibility. I suggested the cleaning of the rock to avoid any further spreading of the cyano..

imfsub12

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Yea I am not sure how much and how long it takes cyano to hurt corals I just threw it out there as a possibility. I suggested the cleaning of the rock to avoid any further spreading of the cyano..
But it doesn't make any sense how the cyano would do this.. as i have some other zoo's in the tank here and there and they all look the same... could they just be maturing????
as the pic that i gave for the begging was probley right after they bloomed up from NOTHING...

imfsub12

Originally Posted by Clay12340
all my conditions are good just did a water change and tested levels and they are normal for my tank right accross the board... nothing has changed that has RED FLAGED me...

nietzsche

ive heard of them morphing, not sure how common it is. usually they morph to more flow, less flow, a lot of light, etc. its certainly not something that happens in a few days or weeks. its a possibility it could be that
how long did you have them before they changed? i find it weird that the skirt is folded inward. reefkprz would probably know though

perfectdark

I dunno if cyano can make your zoos do what they are doing. I know that alot of it on a coral can indeed hurt it. But I agree with the above ReefkprZ would be the one I would ask.

clay12340

It may not be an issue of reduced water quality. The lack of polyp extension makes me think that might be the case, but who knows. Depending on when the picture was taken it could have been disturbed by something or just opening in the morning.
I don't think that cyano actually does damage to a coral. It just covers it and starves it of light and flow and suspended nutrients. It would be like putting a plant in a dark box with no soil. It'd eventually die from lack of resources.
The color of a coral is based on the symbiotic algae it contains. Zoos don't mature that I am aware of. Even the smallest zoo polyp is going to look like a tiny copy of its parent.
If your tank can't support some color of algae it will typically die off and the coral will change colors. The opposite is true as well. If your tank supports some color of algae very well it will most likely become more prevalent and change the appearance of the coral over time.

perfectdark

Actually I have read and witnessed that cyano can cause necrosis in corals if it is left on them. I had a gorgonian that suffered this fate and after reasearching I read that the bacteria of cyano can create infections in the corals and that can lead to death..

imfsub12

Ok went to LFS and we think we have a motive on what did this to them..
I have a PEPERMENT SHRIMP.. and we think he might be having a late night snack..
What do you think of that.. as it does look like just the (flower ends not sure on the word here) are eaten...
Any takers on this theory.

saltn00b

well besides the tips being shorter, which could be predation it looks to me that they are a lot healthier now. perhaps when you got them they were light starved and had almost no zooxanthallae in them, making them almost transparent. then in your tank they are getting the light they need so they are coloring up to their natural coloration.

new2salt1

Originally Posted by saltn00b
well besides the tips being shorter, which could be predation it looks to me that they are a lot healthier now. perhaps when you got them they were light starved and had almost no zooxanthallae in them, making them almost transparent. then in your tank they are getting the light they need so they are coloring up to their natural coloration.
hey noob, do you own one of those nudi's??? I saw one today in person and they are beautiful. Its ashame they all eventually perish.

meleerock

I was kind of concerned aboout the before pic but now they look healthy to me... what kind of lighting do you have though? It looks like they are open so far and have longer base to try to access more light. Have you tried placing them higher in the tank?

saltn00b

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
hey noob, do you own one of those nudi's??? I saw one today in person and they are beautiful. Its ashame they all eventually perish.
no i do not. Nudi's require extremely specialized diets that we as aquarists cannot at this time provide. beautiful animals tho

reefkprz

Originally Posted by saltn00b
the second picture is the before picture. the first is what they look like now.

reefkprz

I would say that colony is having a really tough time for one reason or another.
it could be your pep is munching the tips off.
this would stress the entire colony changing the overall look of the colony.
whats your lighting?
how long have they been in your tank?
do you spot fed them?

imfsub12

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I would say that colony is having a really tough time for one reason or another.
it could be your pep is munching the tips off.
this would stress the entire colony changing the overall look of the colony.
whats your lighting?
how long have they been in your tank?
do you spot fed them?

T5's lights - they are doing good we have 2 other BOUGHT corals in the tanks and they are striving...
Been in the tank sense i got the rock 10-11 months.
Spot fed them - they get food when we drop it in the tank.. ever other day food fall in there mouth for them and they close up and eat it up...
As its just not the main colony on that rock, i'm noticing them all over the tank some are higher than this one and they all look the same.. so it might be the pep having a snack...