Zoos - Pink

4321sean

Ok I need some help with my zoos.It is my 1st zoo and i bought it from SWF i got the 10+ frag.Ok when she opens its about 1/2 the size of a dime.Is that the normal size or is that is small becouse it is a frag?#2? Is it normal for them to close up when lights are on?I have 192w.pc and i have her 5in or so from water surface .dose the frag need to be lower or higher.Water per. are fair and working on getting nitrates down thier at 2.5 now,nitrite @0 and alk 2.8 to 2.9 ph8.4 the temp is @ 80 .any help will be very helpful ty all

scopus tang

Originally Posted by 4321sean
http:///forum/post/2981049
Ok I need some help with my zoos.It is my 1st zoo and i bought it from SWF i got the 10+ frag.Ok when she opens its about 1/2 the size of a dime.Is that the normal size or is that is small becouse it is a frag?#2? Is it normal for them to close up when lights are on?I have 192w.pc and i have her 5in or so from water surface .dose the frag need to be lower or higher.Water per. are fair and working on getting nitrates down thier at 2.5 now,nitrite @0 and alk 2.8 to 2.9 ph8.4 the temp is @ 80 .any help will be very helpful ty all
Ok kill all the fancy text; kills my eyes. IF its a zoa, 1/2 the size of a dime is pretty standard, but varies with morph. Yes, they will close up with lights on if something (like a hermit crab) walks across them, and occassionaly (on rare occassions) for no apparent reason; sometimes they stay closed for several days (usually not a good sign), but I've seen it happen with no apparent ill effects. Is the light or the frag 5" from the waters surface? Water parameters fair tells us nothing; there is no "fair" result on test kits ~ be specific please. alk of 2.8 is that ppm or dKH? either way its low. Temp of 80 could come down if you can, I find things do better at 78 or so, but they usually will adjust.

4321sean

frag is 5in from water surface. the alk @2.8 ppm on the test kit says thats high. so thats why im asking in here. what is the best way to raise the alk. i am useing ro water now finly. this has made big difference in my tank . got rid of all that nasty green hair.but that water has no readable alk so what should i do?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by 4321sean
http:///forum/post/2982767
frag is 5in from water surface. the alk @2.8 ppm on the test kit says thats high. so thats why im asking in here. what is the best way to raise the alk. i am useing ro water now finly. this has made big difference in my tank . got rid of all that nasty green hair.but that water has no readable alk so what should i do?
Again, depends on what you are reading with your test kit; alkalinity should be;
2.5-4 meq/L
7-11 dKH
125-200 ppm CaCO3 equivalents
So if you are reading in meq/L than you are in the mid range, in no case can I see that you are high. You can raise alkalinity by using an alk additive, there are several out there. I personally use Kent's Superbuffer dKH. HTH

4321sean

thank you i did a fresh water dip today and 2 of those zoa eatting slugs fell of and an almost clear spider looking think came off so maybe they will start to come around now and i noticed a brown spot that started after i diped it. my camara took a crap so cant post pics.