zoo's, polyps, and leathers oh my!

nyreefer

I'm in the process of building a new stand and canopy for my 55. I would like to keep mainly zoanthids/polyps, xenia and possibly a toadstool leather down the road. My question is should I go with 2 x 175W halides or 440 watts of VHO. I would also like to keep in mind operating and maintenance costs. The type of lighting will determine the height of my canopy. Thanks in advance...

j-cal

you dont NEED halides for those corals, but halides get you more options down the road, but they are a lot mroe expensive

nyreefer

The prices are actually quite comparable for DIY retro fit Metal Halides and VHOs. Would these corals grow better under halides? I am also concerned about the heat output of the halides vs. VHOs.

msd2

Originally posted by NYReefer
The prices are actually quite comparable for DIY retro fit Metal Halides and VHOs. Would these corals grow better under halides? I am also concerned about the heat output of the halides vs. VHOs.

Very similar to another thread I believe last week, you many want to check it out.
my 2 cents would be that I would think unless u suspend the HM a good 8 inches above the water u will have heat issues. I run a 55gal tank also w/1 175w and 2 no actinics and the tank gets to 79 degrees regularly with my room temp 72-74 degree. In the past I have had no problem with corals under these lighting conditions.

andrew79

go with the halides and add 2 4" fans in your canopy blowing over the water surface, this will keep your heat down. with the halides your will be able to keep alot more
hth
andrew

nyreefer

Heat is not my main concern although it does seems like VHO would be safer within the canopy. My main issue is how well the corals will do under VHO vs MH.