Zoo's right? (id please)

msd2

The LFS had these in the back bottom under low super low light but they kinda looked like Zoo's to me. They are just starting to open up now (they were all closed up in the store). Anything I can do to help them come out and see the light? :D

msd2

I hope so I have been wanting some zoo's but they are so pricey. clearly they didn't know what these were they guy sold them as LR price.

nm reef

Lookss like a nice colony of button polyps...did you get them for a good price? Give them some time. In a stable system with decent lighting they should do well. But if they have been neglected for a while it may take some time for them to adjust.

jeffro8332

i also came across a colony of neglected button polyps and they took well over 2 months before all of them opened up.
j

msd2

Originally posted by NM reef
Lookss like a nice colony of button polyps...did you get them for a good price? Give them some time. In a stable system with decent lighting they should do well. But if they have been neglected for a while it may take some time for them to adjust.

Yea the price was right, it was 10 bucks each. So how can you tell the difference between buttons and zoo's?
FYI the purple ones have all but a few opened up already and the brown/orange is about 50% opened up.

sultros

Search zoanthus and palythoa
Basically zoanthus is a smaller version than palythoa or "button polyps". Zoanthus form more of a close together mat, the polyp remains smaller, and they dont have as long of a stalk.
I rarely see good looking color morphs of button polyps and those look great. Is that on a rock of figi? I received a lone button polyp on a piece of figi. It's mostly tanish green with a neon green center.
Zoanthus seem to have many more color morphs.
I cant really tell from your pics which they are. Either way its a steal.
Enjoy them:D

msd2

thanks for all the info. My guess is now that they are opened up that the purple ones are zoo's and the orange/brwn are the buttons. The purple ones with a green center are low to the rock, small and tightly packed together. While the others are up off the rock a bit with some more space between.
What I really want to get are some of the dramatic reds, metalliic blues, oranges, and something yellow for lots of color. But that will have to wait.
I did a search but do you guys have any other insight into making them grow like weeds :D
I believe you are correct it looks similar to the other fiji rock I have purchased before.

chris17

Pic #1 looks like zoos an pic #2 look like button polyps.....they look good though......good buy:happy:

sultros

if you want them to grow fast...give them lots of bright light and high water quality.
once they start...youll be amazed at how fast they propagate. I come home every day from work to find new polyps and noticeable growth from the day before