Zoos toxic?

kimgpk

Alright I wasn't sure where to post this because i am a newb. But I was surfing the web looking for info about zoos, wanted to know more about them, looking to get some in the future. I came across a page that says that they have a very deadly toxin in them. Does anyone have any info?

nm reef

There are several sources that document the toxins produced by some types of zooanthids....a search here can turn up some previously discussed information and as you've already found several on-line sources have information. Basically they do contain some very toxic stuff and care needs to be taken to prevent exposure...but with proper care there is limited potential for exposure.

nm reef

Here is fine.....I need to run out for a few....when I return I'll check back and if somebody hasn't located some specific info for you I'll look for it myself. There once was a very informative thread here that discussed the topic in detail.

dogstar

Cut and paste from another trusted site.......
Zoanthus and Palythoa both contain very toxic chemicals, that are dangerous to both reef inhabitants and humans. The most well known is Palytoxin, which has been documented as one of the most poisonous marine toxins known (Mereish et al, 1991). Palytoxin can affect the heart, muscles, and nerves leaving its victim in paralysis, and possibly death. Because of the toxin, you should never handle Zoanthus or Palythoa with open wounds, nor should you touch your mouth or eyes after handling the species. (Editors’ note: We recommend the use of disposable latex gloves) When propagating either of the species, it is critical to remember that the slightest rub of an itchy eye, or even a small cut from a hang nail, might be enough to land you in the hospital. In the aquarium, some rapid growing Zoanthus colonies can be aggressive to stony and soft corals, but in general, they are very peaceful, and you can slow the growth rate by the controlling the overall nutrient load of your tank.

kimgpk

Are you saying if I wear gloves everything should be alright? I did a search for that tread and could not find but I will keep looking.

dogstar

You should always were gloves when messing with the tank. Many corals, not just zoos have toxins as well as other inverts and crustation and fish, unknown hitchickers also. Plus some things BITE. Some people can have alergic reactions that others dont. Just have to be carefull. Dont want to scare you because IMO its not that dangerous if you DO were quality gloves and are carefull. You can use tongs or simullar tool as well.
As said ' do not ' put your gloves in your mouth or eye after holding livestock because the toxins can be on the gloves. Wash everything after handleing.

kimgpk

alright this nice to know. I usually don't wear gloves are latax (like - doctors) alright or should I buy something else? I don't have any corals right now wanted to know as much as I can before I get some and some experiance under my belt. I do wash my hands though. should i be washing everything I put in the tank ( ex. sypon,net) if so should I use warm freshwater?
thank for putting up with the silly ?'s

dogstar

The Doctor gloves are sterile but not very thick, better than nothing, but maybe should rinse them befor puting the in the tank.
Many LFS and online places sell good gloves.
Good questions and should be brought up now and then for all to think about and remember.

kimgpk

I thank you so as long as I wear the right stuff and decided to get these zoos I shouldn't have a problem taking care of them? Should I rinse all of my equipment after I have put in my tank with warm freshwater?

dogstar

Did you check any of the links to any of the threads listed at the very bottom of this page ?????