Whole house water filter?

snakeblitz33

So I moved and had to go to a different water company. Plumbed in the new trailer and found out that the water quality is even worse than I thought.
Example:

So a lot of that junk is sediment and no telling what kind of chemicals. It's like taking a bath and getting dirty on purpose.

I am looking for some cheap alternatives to try to get rid of most of the sediment and then soften the water. That should at least get it clean enough to take a shower huh?

They make sand filters for pools- I thought that might be good enough and easy to back flush once a month. There are also water softener a that use salt to regenerate the resins,... A big one might work?

I know all about RO/DI units... Never fooled with whole house systems.

lmforbis

I like having soft water. Everything gets cleaner. You don't get the soap scum. Clothes stay white, easier on skin, easier on your hot water heater, probably better for delicate baby skin and clothes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So I moved and had to go to a different water company. Plumbed in the new trailer and found out that the water quality is even worse than I thought.
Example:

So a lot of that junk is sediment and no telling what kind of chemicals. It's like taking a bath and getting dirty on purpose.

I am looking for some cheap alternatives to try to get rid of most of the sediment and then soften the water. That should at least get it clean enough to take a shower huh?

They make sand filters for pools- I thought that might be good enough and easy to back flush once a month. There are also water softener a that use salt to regenerate the resins,... A big one might work?

I know all about RO/DI units... Never fooled with whole house systems.
You have got to be kidding! Is that well water or coming from city water?? We had a break in our water line recently and the city goofed big time and I got sand in my lines. I railed at risk management until they got everything fixed and my appliances cleaned out by the plumber (at city expense).

Don't run the tub with that mess else it will break down.

snakeblitz33

That is our parish water system. It's all over the news in north Louisiana. Greater Ouachita Water Company has been screwing over their customers for years without ever making improvements. This is the water quality that thousands of people get on a daily basis. And they say that it is drinkable.

I have a feeling that if I don't add some type of filter to the house and a softener, my appliances - water heater and dish washer- won't make it but a year or two. Heck, why even wash dishes in that water???

So, I've been doing some research online and have found some inexpensive solutions and some even better expensive solutions. Will a sand filter for a pool clean up that sediment or should I run a 100/50 micron filter and change it often? The water line and the sewer line is so close that I can plumb the sand filter into the sewer to back flush it once a month or more.

Adding too much filtration on the main water line might cause a drop in the pressure, wouldn't it?

Has anyone ever attempted to use a pool sand filter as a sediment filter on a house?

If the house have no one to live in, it means water were sitting on the pipe, all you need to do let the water running for 30 minutes, that maybe okay.

snakeblitz33

That isn't my bath tub. This is water that someone else uses in their home. I checked my own water too and it is just as brown. I will, however, bleed the inside and outside lines again to see if it makes any difference.

flower

I had a 15 x 30ft pool, it had the big sand filter. All it did was get the big stuff out, the stuff that makes the water brown didn't change...water has more then just big stuff to be that color. I don't think it would clear it up without some kind of extra chemical, I put bleach in the pool. You certainly can't do that to your house water, unless you filtered again after you add bleach, or let it sit in a holding tank until the chlorine clears on it's own (24 hours I think, but it would have to be open to the air). The sun would make the bleach deplete, maybe a big UV light in the holding tank?

What a mess, I would be crying. Maybe check out what the volunteer people do for the poor countries to help clear their water. I remember it used to be advertised all the time, that if you donate $10.00 a month it would supply one family with clean water...so there must be a way.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So has anyone contacted the water company about this? If they don't respond, then there are regulatory agencies that should.

bang guy

Snake, if you're getting a water softener do that first. My understanding is that it may pull out all of those iron ions that are making your water brown. You may not need additional filtration to get the water clear.

bang guy

So has anyone contacted the water company about this? If they don't respond, then there are regulatory agencies that should.
There's been a battle in a lot of locations over this. The mission of these regulatory agencies is to ensure the water is safe for consumption. Nothing to do with color, clarity, or how it damages appliances.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There's been a battle in a lot of locations over this. The mission of these regulatory agencies is to ensure the water is safe for consumption. Nothing to do with color, clarity, or how it damages appliances.
So that much sand coming through is ok for drinking water?

snakeblitz33

I'm thinking that I'm going to get a big blue sediment filter at 50 microns and then add a water softener to the system as well. Disgusting,..

The water system has been in the news a lot lately and as Guy said, it's drinkable but the quality is deplorable.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just because you can drink it doesn't mean its good for you. Can't see mud colored water that looks like someone had a BM in their bath water is good for you. Good Grief.

snakeblitz33

Lots of free floating things in that water. They have a 100 micron and a 50 micron polyester mesh filter that can be back washed to easily clean it. I might get one or two of those and then run it through a water softener.

I think I almost got this figured out.

pegasus

Wow... that's freaking horrible! If that was the best my water association could provide, I'd have a well drilled. Many WA's run sand through the lines to knock the rust out. That looks like the rust is knocking the rust out! Jeez...

It looks like the toilet backed up into the tub... yuck!!!

snakeblitz33

Not much I can do but complain to the company. They don't care about their customers, since you have to legally have public water service in the state of Louisiana. They charge $30 flat fee and $14.95 for the first 2k gallons and $4.95 for every 1k gallons after that. I use about 5k gallons a month where I am at, which means my minimum bill will be about $60 a month for this rusty water. Paying that much should mean that we are getting quality water- but that's not the case.

I'm still thinking that a 100 micron polyester mesh and a 50 micron sediment filter along with an RV water softener will take out most of the particulates and soften the water. The drinking water and ice maker will be ran by the RO/DI unit.

In addition to the filtration, I'm also going to change out the aerators on the sinks and the shower heads to more water efficient models. Maybe that will save some water.

Having a newborn, I'm going to need clean water to mix formula in,.... Just really concerns me.