lion fish stings

jeremyjosl

Originally Posted by cubfan
just a side note. lion stings are not fatal to humans, unless one is highly allergic (anaphylaxis) to bee stings or other venoms. Hospital treatment will consist of supportive care. ie. oxygen, pressor drugs(to keep blood pressure stable) until patient is ready to go home. Hot water will break down venom to less harmful by products. While not a fun experience, most lion stings are equated to really bad bee stings.
Hello. Just to clarify what actual treatment should be and to correct this last statement a bit, let me add the following to the conversation:
1.) Being allergic to bee stings or other venoms has no relation to being allergic to lionfish stings. An allergy must always be "learned" by the body. Therefore, in order to be allergic to lionfish venom you must have been previously stung by a lionfish (your body only then sets itself up for an allergic reaction the next time, or time after that, or time after that, or never). As a corollary, previous exposure to bee venom does not set you up for allergy to lionfish venom... it sets you up for allergy to bee venom. Finally, some people seem to be more allergy prone than others, and so they may have a higher chance of developing an allergy, but the same basic rules still apply.
2.) While it is true that your local ER doc might not be 100% up on lionfish stings, he/she would have instant access to information needed for the correct treatment. This would not include oxygen or pressor drugs (drugs given to prop up blood pressure while someone is very seriously ill and in shock). Treatment is immersion in hot water (45 degrees celsius) for at least 30 minutes. A visit to the ER or your regular doc's office is warranted due to the incidence of infection from these stings. Your tetanus status should be up-to-date, and the wound might be x-ray'ed to check for any left over foreign bodies (tip of stinger) which drastically increases chances of infection. Lastly, pain control is more likely to be "adequate" in the ER though at home you'd be better off with ibuprofen than other pain relievers since NSAIDs control prostoglandins well (the physiologic signal for pain).
3.) In response to someone else who mentioned antivenom, there is an antivenom that was developed for the family Scorpaenidae; however, this antivenom is used more so for the much worse sting of the stonefish and is not recommended
for use with the lionfish (unless there are extreme circumstances).
Hope this info helps clear things up and gives everyone a little more knowledge of the lionfish sting. I don't mean to make anyone look bad, but I would rather have people have correct information whenever possible. Besides, I'm very interested in these fish as well and enjoyed a quick brush-up on the literature for this topic.
Jeremy Joslin, MD

lionfish99

Originally Posted by jeremyjosl

however, this antivenom is used more so for the much worse sting of the stonefish and is not recommended for use with the lionfish (unless there are extreme circumstances).
You mentioned it is not recommended on the Lionfish sting. why is this?

toughguy80

Originally Posted by diablo
mine looks at me like food!!!

i think he has a bad attitude

Naw, they are great fish. I bought an antenneta about a year and a half ago. I was a little intimidated by mine for the 1st month. If he came near my hand would jet outta the water. Now I can be moving rocks in my tank and have my little buddy within 5" without feeling the least bit threatened. Of coarse, common sense tells me to keep an eye on him and move slowly lol. I liked him so much that I now have a baby fuzzy dwarf. It's great watching them swim side by side and the fuzzy is now just as curious as his "big brother" when my hands are in the tank. They'll swim around my hands but never take any aggressive behavior or make me feel unsafe. Give it some time and I bet you'll come to find they are the friendliest fish in your tank.

jeremyjosl

Originally Posted by Lionfish99
You mentioned it is not recommended on the Lionfish sting. why is this?
Using antivenom (or antivenon, as the British prefer) is not recommended for routine cases because of the risks that go along with its administration. Many antivenom products are harvested from horse serum and it is not uncommon for people to react to it. So called serum sickness. Pushing antivenom is a serious therapy with its own risks so it is not taken lightly.
By the way, has anyone had any issues with their lions eating snails or hermits? I know they love shrimp, but I could really use a cleanup crew.

angelsrock

Hello. Just to clarify what actual treatment should be and to correct this last statement a bit, let me add the following to the conversation:
1.) Being allergic to bee stings or other venoms has no relation to being allergic to lionfish stings. An allergy must always be "learned" by the body. Therefore, in order to be allergic to lionfish venom you must have been previously stung by a lionfish (your body only then sets itself up for an allergic reaction the next time, or time after that, or time after that, or never). As a corollary, previous exposure to bee venom does not set you up for allergy to lionfish venom... it sets you up for allergy to bee venom. Finally, some people seem to be more allergy prone than others, and so they may have a higher chance of developing an allergy, but the same basic rules still apply.
while mostly true, you will react whether been stung before or not. hurts like no other and you will swell wherever stung.

jeremyjosl

Originally Posted by angelsrock
while mostly true, you will react whether been stung before or not. hurts like no other and you will swell wherever stung.
I'm sorry if there was some confusion. Allergic reaction is NOT the same as local inflammation. Yes, you will have pain and local inflammation ANYTIME you get stung, while an actual allergic reaction (AKA hypersensitivity, or any degree of anaphylaxis) will only occur as stated previously.

angelsrock

I'm sorry if there was some confusion. Allergic reaction is NOT the same as local inflammation. Yes, you will have pain and local inflammation ANYTIME you get stung, while an actual allergic reaction (AKA hypersensitivity, or any degree of anaphylaxis) will only occur as stated previously.
gotcha

cubfan

jeremy,
Thanks for setting me straight. I was really going for the supportive care, just shouldn't have given the bad examples.

cubfan

Also, I have 2 volitans in a 150 with about 200 snails and hermits. The lions don't bother them a bit and thy do a great job at eating the bits of krill and silversides that the lions don't want. (The hermits, that is!!)

spacegliders

http:///forum/post/1235363
2.) While it is true that your local ER doc might not be 100% up on lionfish stings, he/she would have instant access to information needed for the correct treatment. This would not include oxygen or pressor drugs (drugs given to prop up blood pressure while someone is very seriously ill and in shock). Treatment is immersion in hot water (45 degrees celsius) for at least 30 minutes. A visit to the ER or your regular doc's office is warranted due to the incidence of infection from these stings. Your tetanus status should be up-to-date, and the wound might be x-ray'ed to check for any left over foreign bodies (tip of stinger) which drastically increases chances of infection. Lastly, pain control is more likely to be "adequate" in the ER though at home you'd be better off with ibuprofen than other pain relievers since NSAIDs control prostoglandins well (the physiologic signal for pain).
3.) In response to someone else who mentioned antivenom, there is an antivenom that was developed for the family Scorpaenidae; however, this antivenom is used more so for the much worse sting of the stonefish and is not recommended
for use with the lionfish (unless there are extreme circumstances).
Hope this info helps clear things up and gives everyone a little more knowledge of the lionfish sting. I don't mean to make anyone look bad, but I would rather have people have correct information whenever possible. Besides, I'm very interested in these fish as well and enjoyed a quick brush-up on the literature for this topic.
Jeremy Joslin, MD
I would disagree to a point here. You did not take into fact the people that have Mastocytosis. Many people may have it and not know it yet as it is uncommon and over looked in the medical field often for years in a person.
I have Mastocytosis and a lionfish sting could kill me! It took 9 years until the Dr's knew what I had. How many more people are out there with it and don't know it!
It is bad advise to tell people that it should be fine without medical treatment in most cases, when you don't know their health history.
It is always best to soak in hot water and seek medical advise!

kingsmith

Lion fish stings contain a protein based posion. High temp denatures proteins basically break them down, thus the best course of action is really hot water for a long time. though if you cann't breath go to the doctor

prime311

I have it on good authority that spacegliders fakes Lion stings at the beach to get girls to pee on him.

samschwitz

I was stung by my Lion Fish today. I immediately soaked it under hot water and felt really hot and my bp went up to 160 over 100. My pulse rate went to 165 and I sweated immensely. I am not allergic to bees and I felt faint. I called 911 immediately and was rushed to the hospital Code 3. I was given a large dose of Benadryl, a tetanus shot, antibiotics, and a large dose of a steroid. This is not something to play with and I was just moving things around in my tank. I was stung with a total of 5 spines and I immediately felt them venom in my body. I was lightheaded and nauseous, and I started tremors. If you get stung don't play around and get to the ER asap. I was told by the ER doc whenever you are stung to immediately come to the ER. This is basically the equivalent of getting bitten by a venomous snake and I was in the trauma ward for over 3 hours. Please be careful and I will be posting pictures up from the hospital of the sting. My hand was swollen 3 times the size even when hot water was used. Be CAREFUL! I am taking mine back to the store! It was a Volitan Lion fish over 10 inches long! Hope this helps everyone and please be careful out there! It just goes to show anything can happen even when they are unprovoked!
~Samuel

sepulatian

I have two lions. They have never stung me. Both will eat out of my hand. Pay attention to where they are in the tank. If, by chance, you do get stung then run hot water over the sting. If you feel not well, at all, then seek medical attention. Don't wait. There is no point in taking chances.

fishygurl

just wondering but what if you wear heavy duty gloves and they happened to sting you (of course you wouldnt try to get it to. but if it accidently did or something would it still be able to sting you through it if they are like big plastic gloves? you know those ones that go all the way up your arm that they sell on some sites.. cuz i would maybe want a small one or something eventually if i could, if i knew that it couldnt hurt me when i was messin around/cleaning the tank and stuff. I would rather just not have to worry about getting hurt..

hlcroghan

The key here to pay attention to where your hand is in the tank. I don't believe that they could go through gloves. You could buy the ones people use for washing dishes and keep them only for the tank. Obviously you don't want to have had any chemicals or soap on the gloves prior. But use common sense here people. If you know that you have a poisonous fish make sure that you are paying attention to where it is in the tank. Don't go blindly grabbing for stuff or put some sort of separator in the tank to make sure that the lion fish stays away from where you are working.

R

rcreations

I hand feed my 2 lion fish all the time and they never once tried to sting me. They are really not agressive fish. I imagine I would have to be really careless to be stung by them.

samschwitz

Like I was stating earlier. I was not careless, the lion was on the other side of the tank. I have decided to keep him but I will be placing a net over while a friend holds it before I put my hand in the tank again! I would not handfeed them at all! The could mistake your hand for prey via scent trace and you could get stung. Just try to stay away from getting stung at all costs and if you feel funny call 911! There is no need to take any risks. Two days after getting stung my hand is still tender. I was thinking of purchasing a stone fish but after this sting I think I am no longer interested. Plus the mortality rate from a stone fish is much higher. These stings are very painful, the ER physicin stated it was equivalent to a venomous snake and as I said earlier I was in the trauma ward. These fish are quite poisonous and there is no need to downgrade that fact. I have been handling fish for quite a number of years, just know there is always that chance out there guys and take care!