lion fish stings

lion fishhunter

While running hot water is a great way to tame the sting of a lion fish sometimes we are not so lucky to have this avalible.
So to anyone stung any source of heat such as candles hot exaust from the outboard motor bonfires on the islands used for cooking any source of heat can be used but needs to be done asap.
This also works on jelly fish stings and sting ray stings

S

saxman

I'd be REALLY careful using any of those methods, as if done improperly, the resulting burns could cause more tissue damage than the venom. Lionfish stings hurt, but aren't deadly.

K

karla

I got my first one today. Horrible!! Took benadryl bc I'm allergic to bees. I got stung in three spots on my hand. I have broken bones that didn't hurt this bad. My whole hand is swollen!! Took a Vicodin and a few beers!! The lion didn't attack just ran into him trying to feed the eel. This pain has lasted as I post this almost 3 hours!! Hot water, pain killers and a few beers has helped but I still can't bend my hand. So an hour of pain was crap for me!!

S

saxman

If you got hit in three spots, there was a decent amount of venom injected into your hand, and the more venom there is, the more it's going to hurt. You might want to use a feeding stick that's long enuff so your hand isn't in the water when you feed the fish (I assume you're using some type of forceps since your hand was in the water).
"Feeding frenzy" is one of the most common ways to get poked, or for other fish to get poked, as they often simply run into the lion's spines.

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion fishhunter http:///t/167407/lion-fish-stings/40#post_3472530
While running hot water is a great way to tame the sting of a lion fish sometimes we are not so lucky to have this avalible.
So to anyone stung any source of heat such as candles hot exaust from the outboard motor bonfires on the islands used for cooking any source of heat can be used but needs to be done asap.
This also works on jelly fish stings and sting ray stings
As one who takes care of such people in the HOSPITAL who do these things..... nobody do ANY of these!!!!!! NONE OF THEM!!!
They may be trolling, but there are peeps who may take it seriously. Actually I know there are.....

mr. limpid

I had a dwarf lion in a 30gal long (I know to small of a tank, but this was 22 years ago). They are afraid of you just like you other fish. When they final get over it all they want is food not your finger. Unless you get a trigger then watch out. Just know were they are at so you don't ram him he won't attack. I've been attacked more by clowns fish than lion's.

mjtech12

your more less to get stung by a lion fish than a foxface my foxface swims so crazy that when its feeding time he would sting you faster and he's not aggressive also but at least lions tend to hover when being fed and you can see it coming, Ive never been stung and have owned 2 or 3 in different tanks over the years, when I feed them I keep a small net with me to avoid it also when I do water changes, they are a great addition to the tank and you shouldn't be afraid of owning one, I say your more to get stung acclimating it than it is feeding it in the tank.

foodshape

Not a getting stung story, just a little anecdote this thread recalls to mind… Scuba diving in Jamaica a couple of years ago I swam down into what was basically a shoulder width crevace, about 30’ high and 100’ long or so running through the base of a reef. The walls of this crevace were pockmarked with large pigeon-hole like recesses and lo and behold, in just about each hidey-hole staring at me from what seemed like inches away as I swam by, was a large Pterois volitans. Way back when I took scuba you wouldn’t have found one anywhere in the carribean, and in more recent years I’d come across the odd one or three, but now they have really invaded the Carribean, and here I was in their nest! Like something right out of an aliens movie. I know they’re not aggressive but those ones were all big, up close, and bobbing around in the ebb and flow with me in confined quarters. The water was warm and we weren’t even wearing wetsuits! Talk about getting the jitters! “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming”. Only the divemaster and I went through, and when we came out he signalled others to stay out of there. I asked him afterwards if there were always that many there, he said “no man; one or two maybe, but never like this”. I was sure glad they are not aggressive.

mele0024

i live in key west but have never been stung this is very useful seeing that a have to write a report

gtrtek

I got stung by 4 spines once. It was back in the 80s. There wasn’t a lot of knowledge about them at the time. My whole arm swelled up and the pain was so bad I went to the ER. The nurses wanted to put my and in ice water to bring the swelling down but luckily for me the doctor on staff had spent some time in Africa and was familiar with stings so they started soaking it in hot water. Thank God for morphine, I have never felt that much pain in my life. I can only blame myself. I got careless while feeding him.

S

saxman

Yeowch! There was definitely a lack of info out there about lionfishes back in those days, which is when I began keeping them. We're working hard to get the info out there via articles, forums, conferences, interviews, etc.

S

saxman

"Dr. Jeremy" is right-on.
Scorpaeniforme venoms are composed of heat-labile proteins, which are denatured by the heat (we recommend +114*F, which is +45*C).
The severity of the envenomation is dependent upon a few variables: species, the number of spines involved, depth of the wound, and dwell time (the time the spines are actually in the wound). The "toxicity progression" goes like this (worst being last): lionfishes, scorpionfishes, waspfishes, stingfishes, stonefishes.
These days, most medical units treat the envenomations symptomactically rather than using antivenom. It's expensive, and isn't likely kept on hand by most ER's, esp. where there's little chance of a stonefish sting. It turns out that a guy I used to hang with back in high school is the ER director at the hospital Renee (Cranberry) works at, and I asked him if they kept the stuff in stock. Torrance Memorial is a large hospital, and as I mentioned, they don't keep it around.
The biggest worry one might have would be secondary infection, esp. if there are any fragments of the offending spine(s) left in the wound. This would be more of a concern with lionfish stings due to the long length of their dorsal spines. It helps to know that besides their dorsal spines, lionfishes possess two pelvic spines and three ventral spines that are venomous (refer to the drawing in this article: http://www.lionfishlair.com/careguides/lionfish.shtml ).
As for "downgrading" getting stung, while we don't downplay it, we also try to get the word out that it's not as terrible as the "stories" make it out to be. I've kept scorps for over 20 years, and have never had any issues...not even a close call, altho I was "warned" once by an Eschmeyer's scorp. Just yesterday, I was cleaning one of our setups that houses five different lionfishes, a waspfish, and a scorpionfish, and altho I don't fret over getting stung, I do know where the fishes are at all times. Our fishes are all used to us, which helps a lot, altho the fuzzy dwarf pair tends to "insist" on swimming around my arm at times.
Here are some tips for working in your "lion's den":
[list type=decimal]
[*]
Always respect the fish, and know where they are at all times when working on the tank. If you happen to be performing a chore that requires a lot of your concentration, you may want to enlist the aid of a spotter to let you know if the fish is nearby (this is a perfect job for young helpers).
[*]
Never make the fish feel threatened or cornered. Perform your work deliberately and in a non-threatening manner. Get to know your fish, and let it get to know you. Lionfish are pretty intelligent and will become accustomed to you working in their box of water.
Know the warning signs that a lion has gone into a defensive posture. They will typically erect their dorsal spines and assume a head-down position, thus bringing their daggers to bear in the direction of the perceived threat.
Don’t pet the fish! This was actually meant as a joke, but I know of at least one case, where a person thought her lionfish was so puppy-like and tame that she tried to pet it and got poked for her trouble. She was unaware of the first aid for a sting, applied ice to the wound, and ended up in the ER.
[/list type=decimal]
"Back off!"

Well mine thinks I am boring. My desk is near the tank and he/she yawns at me. He will do that several times in a week. He doesn't look at me like food, just looks like, ok boring person feed me. They are beautiful fish. I have had my hands in the tank several times, being aware of where the lion is at. He never has gone over to try to do something. He stays away from me. Well I am boring to him lol.