1 big filter or 2 smaller ones

chutneyjh

I've decided to go with aquaclear power filters for my 120. Would it be better to buy one very large filter or to get two of the next size down and put them on opposite ends of the tank? Same with the heaters - one or two? Thanks a bunch.

joncat24

I would go with 2 smaller ones on each count. that way when you clean your filters you can clean one every other week and still keep beneficial bacteria in the other. ANd 2 heaters in case one goes out, you still have heat.

chutneyjh

cool thanks
maybe i'll just buy 2 filters rated for my size tank
you can never have too much filtration can you?

joncat24

I would go with two 110's or maybe you might be better off going with one cannister filter. Check into prices on a cannister and compare.

ophiura

Personally - I do not think that HOB filters are suitable for a predator tank of such a size. Are you using live rock? Personally I would strongly encourage a wet/dry. Will you be running a skimmer?

chutneyjh

yes I will have live rock and a skimmer
I have a wet/dry but I'm going crazy with the sound of the trickling water all the time
I know there will be a lot of waste from the fish and leftover food
I was just going to have a shallow sand bed, more for looks than function
should I consider a different substrate that maybe I can clean manually?
I was also gravitating toward the HOB filters because I know of my own personal laziness when it comes to cleaning the wet/dry.

chutneyjh

I've been looking into the AquaC line of skimmers. I've heard they're the best. I really don't want to go with a sump. The AquaC is pricy, so what kind of filtration could I get away with if I ran the AquaC?
thanks

mandarin w

Have you looked into the "Dorso Stand Pipe" These are used instead of the standard issue drain pipe. These were designed just for that reason. The loud on going trickle of the water splashing down in the overflow boxes.
My oldest son came home to visit last year. He was staying in the livingroom. He thought the tank would be relaxing. By day three, he was ready to put something thru my tank. I have to admitt. they are loud, they can drown out the tv. and make it hard to have a conversation if you are in the same room. That is when I had to find something better.
This is a dorso stand pipe.
Home of the Durso Standpipe - www.DursoStandpipes.com
Hopefully the mods don't have an issue with this. This isn't a compeditor, It is an information site with insturtions on how to build a stand pipe yourself. Which infact they are very easy and inexpensive to do. about $20.buck. and problem is solved.

chuckcac

Sorry to jump in... but this ? is relevant to the thread...
I was told by someone on this site that;
If i have 1.1/2 - 2lbs of live rock, a deep sand bed (3-4 inches), 20x water movement and a protein skimmer- i would not have to purchase a filter - is this true?
I considered buying a canister untill i was told otherwise... should i re-consider the filter?
(i am in the process of writing a shopping list of all equipment i need to purchase before i even put water in the tank...)

ophiura

Filtration depends in large part on what you hope to keep in the tank. IMO, I would not run a predator tank on LR. But a coral tank, with few fish would be more than adequate. It comes down to personal choice, personal experience, etc. A filter is certainly a security blanket, without a doubt.

chutneyjh

Originally Posted by ophiura
Filtration depends in large part on what you hope to keep in the tank. IMO, I would not run a predator tank on LR. But a coral tank, with few fish would be more than adequate. It comes down to personal choice, personal experience, etc. A filter is certainly a security blanket, without a doubt.
I assume by that you mean you'd still encourage the use of live rock, just not as the only source of filtration, correct? I'm not going to be able to put a lot of live rock in my tank to begin with, so I'm wondering what sort of filtration/skimming to go with. Like I said, I don't want to build another sump.