12g Nano Anemone Question

pb_master

Does the standard 12g nano cube setup provide enough light for an anemone. The setup I am talking about it the one you can buy at your local fish store, I am not sure the model.

scubanoah

Its not advised to keep an anemone in a tank that small, but can be done. You would have a much better chance in a nano cube dx (48 watts).

gfk

Originally Posted by ScubaNoah
Its not advised to keep an anemone in a tank that small, but can be done. You would have a much better chance in a nano cube dx (48 watts).

you obviously read nothing but the title.
no you will not be able to get one with that lighting

scubanoah

Hey GFK, instead of just telling him/her no you cant do it, I figured I would try to help. maybe you should try it.

compinnov

Its fine to keep an anemone in a 12 gal nano, I have a green bulb anenome with a cinnimon clown hosting and they are excellent. But you must upgrade the lighting to a retro-fit kit, no less than 36 watts for the 12 gal nano. I retro fitted mine with 65 watts of Power compacts. My own custom design. Also you must watch you water perameters closely. They have to be right on. I do 10% water changes every 5 days. the deluxe nano is better than the standard first gen set up which had only 24 watts which isnt enough lighting. And also, do not put an anemone in the 12 gal until it is stable and has been matured for at least 9 months. Let it age for awhile. Get coraline algae to grow etc. first. be patient and have fun. It is no walk in the park for nano's. They are intended for the semi experienced to experienced reefers. But anyone can do one. This is my opinion, and some people have good sucess, while others kill everything because they dont pay attention and they dont listen to reason. Bigger tanks are more stable and less likely to crash. ie 55 gal or larger. They are more for the beginers, but the cost is higher but are more forgiving in making mistakes, Nano's are less forgiving in a mistake and what you do happens right now, there is no going back to correct the mistake, but when in dought do a water change, it might save you. This isnt to scare anyone, but all must be aware of nanos. Have fun.

gfk

Originally Posted by ScubaNoah
Hey GFK, instead of just telling him/her no you cant do it, I figured I would try to help. maybe you should try it.

they asked about the lights, you went off subject...
with those lights no they cant. didnt meant to come off like that, had a headache, i apologize

scubanoah

Hey gfk, no worries and no offense. It just hit me wrong. Apology accepted. And yeah those stock nano cube lights definetly wont work.