2 monti's growing into 1?

peef

Would an idaho grape and an orange monti merge into one if placed together and let go? Or would they battle each other?

nycbob

initially yes, but afterward it will grow together. the only problem is one will outgrow the other.

bang guy

I couldn't tell you. I do have an example to look at though.
Inside the left circle an Orange Digi and Purple Digi collided. The Purple lost and the Orange continued to grow toward and over the Purple.
On the right there is a Green and Purple that have completely bonded. The skeleton has completely merged and polyps are even sharing common walls.

peef

Hmmmmmmmmm.......I smell an experiment! Alright well during my next waterchange I am going to start a thread for the progress and results! Wooot WOOOOOO

perfectdark

I couldnt get goldfish to live in my 10 gal for more than a month and this guy makes an SPS tank out of one....

saltn00b

bang that is wild.
i guess the purple and green are closer to each other (genetically) and the polyps did not recognize each other as a threat.

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by peef
http:///forum/post/2816657
Would an idaho grape and an orange monti merge into one if placed together and let go? Or would they battle each other?
I dont have the exact situation that you described, but I have numerous monti battles going on in my tank. Unfortunately I dont have upclose pictures, but I can describe them all.
I have an encrusting blue/grey monti that reached out and attacked my idaho grape and the encrusting won that one. The grape actually started to grow away from it, so I fragged that piece of the grape to create distance.
I also have 4 encrusting montis battling each other since I placed them on the same rock. the green with purple rim is winning over the orange and also beating the orange w/ silver polyp. The green w/ purple is at a standstill against the blue/grey encrusting I previsouly mentioned.
I sometimes wonder if all this battling is detrimental to the other SPS in my tank, maybe I should run carbon...
but it is fun to watch.

myzislow

These two have been growing next to each other for around a year now, and just recently they have touched. The sunset has began to sting it a bit, but no major damage has been done to the purple polyped monti. My sunset is growing out of control lately. I hope it doesn't take over the red acropora cytherea below it. I'm going to monitor those 2 very closely as I really don't want and damage done to the acro. IMO, corals will tolerate each other much more if they have been growing into/next to one another for quite some time; opposed to placing corals right next to one another.

peef

This all is great info. I think I am still going to do an experiment and try to place them close and let them grow into each other on their own accord. We shall see!!!
Bang that is a SWEET tank! Looks massive....you sure its a ten???

quakstar

I have a purple and gold one just like that It comes straight out and the back is gold it then turns purple back to gold back to purple

keri

Originally Posted by Quakstar
http:///forum/post/2821827
I have a purple and gold one just like that It comes straight out and the back is gold it then turns purple back to gold back to purple
I'm glad you included a picture, I was totally picturing this crazy colour changing coral lol
Very cool

peef

Alright well I started a thread (or will in about 10min) to show progress of 2 montis growing into each other.
Check er out!