2 types of sand, help

nano reefer

Hey everyone. it sbeen forever since i've been on here. Anyway, i siphoned out too much sand over time and went out and got some. it isnt aragonite, and it definitely isnt live sand. When i put it in, a light brown algae (like red slime, but a clear brown) formed covering the sand. my readings for nitrate before and after were 15. i think the reason is that i have no live sand on top, how should i go about mixing it up, or is there no problem.

snakeblitz33

Just let it do it's own thing naturally. The more you mess with your systems, the more you have a chance of screwing up.

geoj

Sounds like dinoflagellates with good water quality it should die out. Run some good carbon. No phosphates, no nitrates, no diatoms = no dinoflagellates.

geoj

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2923765
dinoflaggelates are plankton, they also cause red tide. i think you meant diatoms.
You are right that there are some dinoflagellate that make the red tide. There are also some dinoflagellate that produces oxygen bubbles and form gelatinous brown mats. Looks like cyanobacteria but is a dinoflagellate. This does not mater because you should treat it the same way...