2 week cycle?

pyro

I set up a 5g 2 weeks ago with about an 8lb boulder of LR from the store (with a decent amount of dieoff), sound quickcrete play sand (had it around the house), and water from my 30g reef along with a MJ600 I use for water changes.
I've been adding pretty heavy amounts of both flake food and cyclop ease to put some ammonia in the system and get teh cycle going.
I tested today and got zero nitrites. My ammonia/nitrate tests are faulty I just found out. There is brown diatom type algae growing on the LR and sand...
Is it possible the 5g cycled in 2 weeks? I have a purple firefish in my 30g reef that everybody (mainly my clown) is beating up and I would like to move him over to the 5g. Thanks.

gsd

I would still check my Ammonia and nitrite levels as well as nitrate. If nitrate is high do a water change, if Ammonia and nitrite is 0 it should be fine to add fish. A 2 week cycle with live rock is not uncommon, even if it does have die off. I would lay off adding any more "extra" junk to create a cycle though.

pyro

His fins are starting to look really poor and he is geting skinnier in the 30g.. The clown keeps picking on him everytime he comes outta his cave. I don't think I'm gonna leave him in there permanently, but gonna give him a chance to recooperate at least for a while. He was my first saltwater fish... want him to be healthy.

puffer32

My 15 started cycling last week, and the ammonia has already reached 0, trites and trates are high, but usually once the amm drops your tank is almost ready, so yes, your tank probably cycled in 2 week, just wait another week to put your fish in though, unless he stops eating and gets to beatup, in that case move him quickly, do a good water change though, and aclaimate him for afew hrs. This is just a short term fix though, 5gal is to small for most fish.

crabsrkewl

Originally Posted by Pyro
His fins are starting to look really poor and he is geting skinnier in the 30g.. The clown keeps picking on him everytime he comes outta his cave. I don't think I'm gonna leave him in there permanently, but gonna give him a chance to recooperate at least for a while. He was my first saltwater fish... want him to be healthy.
Ok that seems like a good reason to move him to a 5g

hot883

sure it's possible for the cycle because you seeded it so well. I would do a 2 gallon change and put the firefish in. Feed very little and watch the levels.