2013 Cleveland Air Show canceled! Angry citizens up in arms!

So the 2013 Cleveland Air Show has officially been canceled because of the federal government sequester. From the press release:
Secretary of Defense memorandum stated, "All aerial demonstrations, including flyovers, jump team demonstrations, and participation in civilian air shows and military open houses will cease as of April 1, 2013."
Now of course all the message boards on the local news websites are lighting up with people saying what a travesty this is. Most are complaining that it's Obama's fault, some are saying it's Republicans fault. The usual partisan bickering.
I say good. Why should the government spend tens (or possibly hundreds) of millions of dollars to fund free air shows all over the country. In Cleveland especially, it always brought out the "I'll do anything as long as it's free" crowd. They watched their free show, threw their cigarette butts and discarded beer cans all over the place, and then left town. I say good riddance.

ironeagle2006

The Amount the Blue Angels Golden Knights and the Thunderbirds cost the Military are LESS than what Obama Spent Last YEAR on Travel with AF1 for his Vacations alone.
The Blue Angels Budget for a Year is around 20Million a Year Same with the Thunderbirds that is Less than 45 Hours of Flight time for AF1. The Golden Knights cost less than 5 Million a Year to Run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/395059/2013-cleveland-air-show-canceled-angry-citizens-up-in-arms#post_3516499
The Amount the Blue Angels Golden Knights and the Thunderbirds cost the Military are LESS than what Obama Spent Last YEAR on Travel with AF1 for his Vacations alone.
The Blue Angels Budget for a Year is around 20Million a Year Same with the Thunderbirds that is Less than 45 Hours of Flight time for AF1. The Golden Knights cost less than 5 Million a Year to Run.
Oh goodie, let's start the "this/that and/or the other" costs less than all of Obama's vacations!

2quills

This is a result of the automatic cuts that went in to effect.
Think of the expos and shows as military marketing. Why must you always go out of your way to down talk others so much? Do you have an inferiority complex or something?

reefraff

I have no problem with this. It would be nice if the 0bamas would moderate their vacations a little as well. The real money would be cutting government employee and congressional perks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/395059/2013-cleveland-air-show-canceled-angry-citizens-up-in-arms#post_3516504
This is a result of the automatic cuts that went in to effect.
Think of the expos and shows as military marketing. Why must you always go out of your way to down talk others so much? Do you have an inferiority complex or something?
Who exactly am I down talking? I mentioned how I was ok with the idea of cutting spending on something like an air show, and the other guy chimes in with the whole "Obama's vacation" crap. Every president we've ever had, and ever will have, will continue to take vacations, and it will continue to cost a lot of money to do so.
If you want the leader of the free world to drive around in a Ford Focus and fly Delta while vacationing at Myrtle Beach, that's fine; but I don't. And I don't care if that's Obama, Bush, or whoever is next.
If you mean the comment about the "free because it's free crowd", then yes, I guess I'm talking down to them. Because each and every year I volunteer to help clean up the s**t storm of garbage they leave all over the parks surrounding Cleveland's Burke Lakefront Airport. If you are getting a free show, the least you can do is send one of your seven kids a whopping 30 yards to the trash bins which are EVERYWHERE. Instead, they just throw their crap all over the ground and/or parking lot and leave. And most of it, is fast food wrappers, empty cigarette packs, beer cans, and the like.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm ok with cutting everything that is not necessary, including the president's (and family) vacations. If we are 17T in debt, then we should not be spending any money whatsoever on anything that is not essential.
We could probably eliminate the national debt in 2 yrs if the government committed to a budget of only essential spending.

reefraff

Sorry but when was the last time you saw a first family take lavish vacations or take a million dollar golfing junket to Florida in a time of economic turmoil? 0bama is tone deaf.

reefraff

Just saw a story. For a one day stop in France by the Veep the lemmo bill was $321,000.00 and that was just for his staff. The car he or the pres rides in is flown in.
Not sayin that is out of line with what others have spent. Just that in our current financial era these politicians need to limit their damned travel.

ironeagle2006

Here is something to think about. When the President flies anywhere they take Both VC25A's with them. Each one costs 189K per HOUR to fly so the Flight costs are close to 380K a hour for Obama to fly for Golf with Tiger in Florida or to Hawaii to go on Vacation. Yet no one in the Press is screaming about him using AF1 for his Limo to do stuff like that. You need to think about this Obama flew to Hawaii for Vacation then Flew Back to DC and then back to Hawaii for vacation the Total Cost to the DOD that runs the 89th Wing that handles AF-1 was close to 30 Million Bucks for that one FLIGHT. Let alone when he was in Hawaii the Beast was required so that flies on a C130 so that is another 70K or so an hour. Bush when he flew to Crawford took small jets Not the 747 Obama refuses to use anything ELSE.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
2013 Obama family vacation itinerary:
Jan 2013: The entire family 9 days in Hawaii
Feb 2013: Michelle and girls skiing in Aspen over a long President's Day weekend
Instead of skiing with the family, Obama went to FLA to golf with Tiger
Mar 2013: Obama girls are at the Atlantis Resort, Bahamas kicking back for Spring Break
April 2013: TBA
May 2013: TBA
June 2013: TBA
July 2013: TBA, and etc......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/395059/2013-cleveland-air-show-canceled-angry-citizens-up-in-arms#post_3516608
Here is something to think about. When the President flies anywhere they take Both VC25A's with them. Each one costs 189K per HOUR to fly so the Flight costs are close to 380K a hour for Obama to fly for Golf with Tiger in Florida or to Hawaii to go on Vacation. Yet no one in the Press is screaming about him using AF1 for his Limo to do stuff like that. You need to think about this Obama flew to Hawaii for Vacation then Flew Back to DC and then back to Hawaii for vacation the Total Cost to the DOD that runs the 89th Wing that handles AF-1 was close to 30 Million Bucks for that one FLIGHT. Let alone when he was in Hawaii the Beast was required so that flies on a C130 so that is another 70K or so an hour. Bush when he flew to Crawford took small jets Not the 747 Obama refuses to use anything ELSE.
Actually that's not even a little true, not that it matters. W Bush always flew the VC-25A's, landing at TSTC Waco Airport, and then taking the Marine One helicopter to his ranch in Crawford. There were only four of his 77 trips to Texas where he didn't fly the 747. Three times on a Gulfstream 550 and once on the old VC-137C SAM 27000 as they retired it in 2001.

darthtang aw

It amazes me that people complain about recent Presidential vacations. This is not new historically. Even during times of turmoil.
James Madison spent a full four months in a row away from Washington after the war of 1812.
Thomas Jefferson took almost a four month vacation.
Eisenhower Vacationed in over 35 different countries.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt traveled more than 240,000 miles by train and flew all over the world to destinations like Cairo, Haiti and even Casablanca.
John Adams spent 7 months in a row at his home on "vacation" granted his wife was stricen with Cancer, I am sure she could have been moved to the White house....
In all your complaints and bitching...The president with the least amount of days on vacation is disliked the most by conservatives and republicans. Carter only spent a total of 79 days on vacation............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/395059/2013-cleveland-air-show-canceled-angry-citizens-up-in-arms#post_3516635
It amazes me that people complain about recent Presidential vacations. This is not new historically. Even during times of turmoil.
James Madison spent a full four months in a row away from Washington after the war of 1812.
Thomas Jefferson took almost a four month vacation.
Eisenhower Vacationed in over 35 different countries.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt traveled more than 240,000 miles by train and flew all over the world to destinations like Cairo, Haiti and even Casablanca.
John Adams spent 7 months in a row at his home on "vacation" granted his wife was stricen with Cancer, I am sure she could have been moved to the White house....
In all your complaints and bitching...The president with the least amount of days on vacation is disliked the most by conservatives and republicans. Carter only spent a total of 79 days on vacation............
My whole thing about any modern president and "vacation", is that the job comes with you. Just because you are in Hawaii, or Crawford, the Bahamas, etc... You're still the most powerful man in the world. Not like a real job where when you are on vacation, you're actually away from your job.

reefraff

17 trillion in debt and double digit unemployment sorta changes things. Not saying they shouldn't be able to get away but damn, think about all the people unemployed or living paycheck to paycheck paying the taxes that are used to pay for your vacations. The 0bamas are posers. Not sure who they are trying to impress now though.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/395059/2013-cleveland-air-show-canceled-angry-citizens-up-in-arms#post_3516645
17 trillion in debt and double digit unemployment sorta changes things. Not saying they shouldn't be able to get away but damn, think about all the people unemployed or living paycheck to paycheck paying the taxes that are used to pay for your vacations. The 0bamas are posers. Not sure who they are trying to impress now though.
Exactly. Its unseemly to just blow money on extravagant, or what appears to be extravagant, vacations when many in this country are suffering. Its not a matter of taking your work with you; that's a given for any president. Just don't behave with a "let them eat cake" attitude.

darthtang aw

So if the debt was ten trillion and only 6 percent unemployment lavish vacations would be acceptable. And don't give that crap the president is never truly on vacation. I went to Seattle in February for a week to see soundgarden perform. Owning and managing two businesses I still had to make calls and manage crap while on vacation. But it was still vacation and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. So don't give me the crap that they are still working.
Bottom line is ALL presidents have spent ridiculous amounts of money on vacations. Is it tax payer money? Sure it is. But the vacations of the president are only a single spending issue. Congress has how many aids? Republicans and democrats alike? How many vacations do they take?

reefraff

As I pointed out up thread the perks for congress and most federal employees is where the real money is but the president also costs plenty with all the vacation trips and the campaign trips he's using to push his agenda. I've been on this since the government shutdown in 95 and they listed some of what was considered non essential employees. It was a joke and in the words of Rush Limbaugh "If they are non essential what are they doing there in the first place?" Another good example was Tom Daschel doing a photo op in front of a gas station for a 30 second sound bite about high gas prices during the Bush years. When he left there was a caravan of 5 SUV's with him. For a PR stunt. We can't be wasting money like that anymore.

stdreb27

It's just a political stunt, lets take the most obvious things, FAA, Air shows, white house tours, shut em down and blame it on the republicans...