20k 150W DE MH light

jeepboy

Would a 20k DE MH pendant light be a good choice for a 55g hex tank that is FOWLR? I don't remember the exact depth of the tank, but its at least 24" deep. Currently the tank has 96w of pc light which seems a bit inadequate. I wouldn't mind adding some lower light corals, but will leave the more demanding corals for my 75g tank.

D

daniel411

I use a 150w DE on a 38g square, and find it worthwhile. I might consider going with a 250w for your tank though, but if you don't want any real light demanding corals... you'd probally be fine with the 150w DE. Check out Brooklyn Johnny's 54g tank in the reef forum. Its a similar size tank with a 250w DE pendant.

robchuck

Jeepboy,
With lower light corals, 250W DE would probably be overkill for your tank. 150W would be much better, though bulb options aren't as varied at that wattage.
Another option to throw at you is the new 150W Spot Pendant that IceCap is selling. It uses 150W PAR 36 MH bulbs made by Iwasaki in 6,500K or 20,000K (they screw into a medium socket; they look similar to floodlights, and are used alot in Japan). Both of these bulbs have a CRI of 96 (with 100 being the best and most MH bulbs ranging in the 80s to low 90s). These setups look really cool, but I haven't found much on things like their PAR rating, spread, bulb life, etc.

brooklyn johnny

Regardless of the corals you'll be keeping I'd strongly recommend you go with the 250 watt DE especially if you choose a 20k bulb in a tank that deep. Check out my 54 gallon and 65 gallon threads to give you an idea of what you could expect...

jeepboy

Great looking tanks Brooklyn Johnny. The reason I was considering a 150W DE 20k was that I have found one on special that comes with an electronic ballast in a pendant for $250 instead of the regular $350.
Would a 150w DE 10k bulb work ok? The tank is in our bedroom and heat will likely be an issue, so I assume a 250w bulb would put out 60% more heat.