240 Acrylic tank leak need help plzzzz

coorsxman

Im just setting up my new but used 240 Acrylic tank and it sprung a leak its in the front bottom along a seam i have nothing in it as we speak is there an fix for this or should i just trash it and get a new one? any idea please

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by coorsxman
http:///forum/post/2849655
Im just setting up my new but used 240 Acrylic tank and it sprung a leak its in the front bottom along a seam i have nothing in it as we speak is there an fix for this or should i just trash it and get a new one? any idea please
You should be able to repair a seem with Weld-On.Having said that i know nothing about fixing acrylic
.Someone here with some experience will chime.

wattsupdoc

Get some weld on #16. Apply a bead along the seam on the inside of the tank. Let it set. If you can tip the tank up at a steep angle, then you can just let it pour from the tube and run down the seam. No need really to squeeze the tube, it will just run right out by itself pretty much. You might do this a couple time to be sure you get it sealed up right. Also you could try #3. It's water thin, you can get a syringe specially made to apply it and apply it along the seam prior to the #16 It will find it's way into the tiniest cracks. But you'll need to apply some pressure to do any fusing.

snakeblitz33

I would put weld on #4 into the seem and then I would put weld on #16 along the edge of the inside.
I think some people would go so far as to weld on a 1/4x1/4 rod in that place, which might not be such a bad idea either.
Ask "Acrylic" what he thinks :D

bmkj02

Finding Weld-On online is easy. The shipping on that stuff can get expensive due to it being classed as a toxic chemical. I had priced it before and it was too expensive. Trying looking for a local acrylic/plastic shop in your area. Thats what I did and they had them cheap.

coorsxman

ya i just bought 2 small tubes of weldon 16 ur right bmk shippings a killer the company told me this will work the best also the #4 isnt water proof that it will not work :(

yerboy

Originally Posted by coorsxman
http:///forum/post/2850564
ya i just bought 2 small tubes of weldon 16 ur right bmk shippings a killer the company told me this will work the best also the #4 isnt water proof that it will not work :(
i built a frag tank using only #4 and it worked fine. Anyways im sure the 16 do the job.

snakeblitz33

Make sure you clean the acrylic very, very well with alcohol or vinegar before you use weld-on. Make sure you have a very, very clean surface or else your not going to get the sticking ability that you need.