285g opinions....

jayfan

I'm seriously thinking of getting the 285G tank off of CL, however it's not drilled. Is a drilled tank that important for a FOWLR setup....or is it just because it "looks better"???? Opinions please!!!!

kylev

the drilling is neccessary inorder to have an internal overflow and a return line that connects to a sump
Is it glass or acrylic???

ibanez

And sumps are nice because you can keep much of your ugly equipment down in the cabinet instead of in the tank plus they add to your total water volume and give you room for a refugium which could contain macro algae or a deep sand bed, which removes nitrates from your water, which causes less stress to your animals and slightly less need for waterchanges as well as a place to culture copepods if you want to house many fish that live off them.

jayfan

Originally Posted by Kylev
http:///forum/post/3240658
the drilling is neccessary inorder to have an internal overflow and a return line that connects to a sump
Is it glass or acrylic???
It is glass..... I see they sell overflow boxes that hang on the back of the tank and use a siphon effect to suck the water out of the tank and down into the sump. The returns are then just pvc'ed out of the sump and up and over the top of the glass with directional spouts at the end. It seems to me that the only differerence in "eye sore" are the overhanging siphoning systems..... yes?

ibanez

Mostly, and also the potential for a break in siphoning which could cause a flood, but is pretty avoidable with a good setup.

browniebuck

I have a hang on overflow on my 125, you only see about a 3 inch by 6 inch piece at the top of the aquarium along with a return that is about the size of a golf ball...no real eye sore

jayfan

Ya that's what I was thinking....... I was thinking of even painting them the same color as the rear glass..... to make them even less noticable. What about the returns....anyone have any pics of how they look coming up and over the glass...and not through???