2nd dog... should I?

crimzy

I've had my St. Bernard for about 6 months now. The vet estimated her age at about 2.5 or 3 (she was a rescue). She's a great dog and a member of my family when the kids are here. But when they're not, she is alone a lot. Often i work all day then come home just to let her out before I leave for the evening. I feel bad that she basically spends full days alone (and full nights) ona regular basis with just short breaks to go outside. So I've thought about getting her a friend. Would this be good for her or would i then be just neglecting 2 dogs instead of 1?

snakeblitz33

It'd be better for her to have a playmate IMO. Yeah, you may feed and take care of them both but I feel like everyone - even animals - need someone to talk to and be with.

scarecrow

I agree with SnakeBlitz33, The currant dog will be happier for a bit but with out human contact they both will be lonely and become board and disruptive ,for two dogs off there size they should have exercise, and outdoor activities then should not have to hang around in a house all day they want to run and play so I would not want to come home to a day of two saint Bernard's board and alone !!!!

reefraff

I know my lab mix is a lot healthier since I got the Beagle. When we are home there is a competition for attention but when nobody is here, which is a lot less often that when I got the second dog, they keep each other entertained. Both dogs have lost a considerable amount of weight since being paired up. My dogs are my burglar alarm so when we road trip they get left here alone. A friend comes by daily to chore them and spend a little time with them, which usually means feeding them Mickey D's cheeseburgers.

fish master

I definitley would get a friend. We have 3 dogs. i really didnt want a 3rd one but after we got her we cant imagine not having her. But 3 is alot of work. but if i was you get one that doesnt shed. With our dogs we have to vacuum twice a day to keep up with the hair. Our 3rd dog keeps our old dog young. before 3rd dog our old dog layed around all the time. Now the are always playing

crimzy

I want another one. The only concern i have is that a second dog makes traveling a pain. Hustling to find dog sitters sucks. With one i can just drop her off with a friend.
It wouldn't be another saint though... thinking maybe a bulldog.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Most dogs require a good deal of exercise opportunities during the day but it doesn't seem like you are able to provide that. Without that going on in their lives, they may begin to show some mis-behaving or emotional issues. While a cat would be fine without so much attention, dogs are pretty attention and exercise needy.
On the other hand, snakes don't require much attention at all. They are easy to travel with, don't eat much and are a lot cleaner then furry pets. I can set you up with one of mine if you're interested! LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/394050/2nd-dog-should-i#post_3506831
I've had my St. Bernard for about 6 months now. The vet estimated her age at about 2.5 or 3 (she was a rescue). She's a great dog and a member of my family when the kids are here. But when they're not, she is alone a lot. Often i work all day then come home just to let her out before I leave for the evening. I feel bad that she basically spends full days alone (and full nights) ona regular basis with just short breaks to go outside. So I've thought about getting her a friend. Would this be good for her or would i then be just neglecting 2 dogs instead of 1?
Okay..here is the thing...two dogs are like having two children, and yes they play and have companionship with each other...they also get into trouble together. Unless both dogs are very well behaved, you may find the house destroyed when you get home.
I am a firm believer in crating my dogs when they are pups, to eliminate the destroyed home chewing faze all puppies go through. Your St. Bernard was an adult when you got her, if you get another adult dog of the same sex, they might get into a "who is the alpha" disagreement with nobody home to stop a fight, and if you get the opposite sex...you will have to have one fixed, or your home will have more than just two dogs. Two dogs (in your case a small pony) play, and that also creates stuff being knocked over and banged into...My German Shepherds have knocked over shelves and broken the bottom glass in my bookcases during play while I was right there watching, thinking...Oh how cute, now I scold them, and send them to the yard to play. My dogs are very well behaved, but like all new additions, you won't know what you have until there are home with you....that's a big risk if you can't be home to supervise.
I wouldn't get another dog because they would be unattended, for the reasons I stated. A kitten, if the dog is friendly enough, may be a better choice. Having another breathing body around is company and at least the house will be in one piece when you get home.

crimzy

All good points. As to the exercise issue, one of the nice things about saints is that they actually require minimal exercise. You have to be careful about getting them too much exercise as giant breeds tend to develop hip dysplasia or other leg problems due to all of the stress on their legs.
Mine, Rosey, is confined when I'm gone to a couple rooms so if they were rambunctious then the damage would be limited. I've had cats before and really don't want one. Also, i watched a family member's cat for 10 days recently and Rosey never even calmed down enough to meet the cat... they had to stay separate. No snakes for me at this point in my life...
It's a tough call. You're criticisms are all valid...

reefraff

Do you have a fenced yard? If so a doggy door is your friend. My place in Montana was set up perfect. The dog door was in the door from the utility room door so if I wanted to limit them they could get inside to warm up and eat and drink in the utility room but still had the yard to romp in.

crimzy

I have a 23' x 11' area in the back fenced but I'm not really comfortable with a dog door... it would have to be pretty big for her to get in and out.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/394050/2nd-dog-should-i#post_3506876
BTW, here's Rosey...

She is BEAUTIFUL!!! They are such sweet dogs too.
it's a hard thing to get an adult dog to warm up to a kitty, they almost have to be raised together to get along. Maybe leave the TV on, and provide lots of toys/chew bones would keep her occupied...LOL...You might have to give her a Cows hip bone to gnaw.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/394050/2nd-dog-should-i#post_3506883
I have a 23' x 11' area in the back fenced but I'm not really comfortable with a dog door... it would have to be pretty big for her to get in and out.
They make power doors that open with a signal from a RFID chip you place on the dog's collar. A little spendy but..... If the dog has to be confined to the house all day I dunno. Unless you are taking that dog on nice long walk everyday I'd be concerned. Even the SB still need some exercise, a bull dog need a ton of it. Perhaps as crazy as it might sounds your solution might be a little yip dog who would get enough exercise in the confined space while providing companionship to your beast, cool dog by the way.

crimzy

Bulldogs need a ton of exercise? That's surprising considering they're stumpy little things. Rosey does get exercise most days... whether it's a walk or playing soccer with me or the kids.
I don't like little yippers. I would prefer a medium size, low energy breed.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/394050/2nd-dog-should-i#post_3506898
Bulldogs need a ton of exercise? That's surprising considering they're stumpy little things. Rosey does get exercise most days... whether it's a walk or playing soccer with me or the kids.
I don't like little yippers. I would prefer a medium size, low energy breed.
You talking an English Bulldog? Not sure about exercise but they are a very dirty dog so keep that in mind. I am not fond of little dogs myself but the thought of a chihuahua paired up with a Bernard is pretty funny. Jack Russells are a "Big" little dog. They don't have the ankle biter mentality.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not that it matters, but the Eng. bulldog is one of the few dogs I can't stand. They are dirty, messy and can be nasty. My friend had one that would jump to hump me every time I visited. I curtailed my visits considerably while she had that pooch. She always had animals, but during that dog's life, that was the only time her place smelled like dirty dog. And the animal's excrement compared to a what you'd expect from a herd of elephants! LOL That crazy dog chewed up her furniture, her drapes, and even her shoes. Yikes. RIP and good riddance.

reefraff

My wifes family had a pair of English Bulldogs when she was little. Lots of oil on the wall about dog shoulder high and snot. Other than that she said they were great dogs.