30 gallon Octoreef good idea y/n ?

prime311

This is a thread for the pluses and minuses of doing an Octopus species tank with a reef in a 30 gallon. No need for the obvious(like fully sealing tank). Is this a realistic possibility?

pezenfuego

good idea...I would go with no. But that's mainly due to the fact that I dislike octopi. I think it's possible though.

oceansidefish

The only problem I could potentially see really would be the Nitrate issue. You will very likely have a very hard time keeping your nitrates in control enough to keep happy corals. I would consider using fake ones. Also I am not to sure that the octo would be stoked with the high lighting of a reef tank...Unless it was of the Octo Momma species.
OK bad joke, serious inquisition.

prime311

Unless theres something I'm missing here i don't think Nitrates should be an issue. The bioload on this tank should be very small. Also fake corals are lame(imo). :p

oceansidefish

I think they are lame too....But I could potentially see the octo causing the bio-load issue in a 30g. I would say with water changes you should be able to keep it under control. The other issue I just thought of is lighting, how are you going to keep this tank cool??? It's going to be a closed top with the octo and lighting for corals will cause a temp issue....Unless you drill the begiezies out of that tank.....

uneverno

+1 on gas exchange.
Only other issue I see is making sure you're guaranteed a little one (6-8" max span) if you're buying on line. (Many places I've looked at won't guarantee size.)
Nitrates can be taken care of w/ water changes no problem. Detritus may be an issue as well. They don't need that much to eat, but they are messy eaters, and given their diet, CUC is a tough call, as they'll eat most of them.
Also be careful not to spook it when you're cleaning the tank. Mine inked me once. That's a mess...
It is fascinating to watch them hunt though - fun critters

P.S. I'm sure you're aware, but put as many colors and textures of rock in the tank as are marine safe. Octo can imitate just about anything on both counts.

runn3rb3an

I think it's possible but keep in mind that octos are very strong and corals are likely to be knocked around, broken, or dropped between rock. Obviously stinging coral shouldn't be kept. I think only a merc. can be kept in that sized tank, which is nocturnal.
P.S. It's octopuses not octopi.