4 bulb VHO retro kit???

dsboyd

I'm getting ready to order lights for my 90 gal reef.
I'm thinking of just going with 4 VHO for a total of 440W. They are run off one ballast though and can only be turned on together.
I was trying to mimic the light cycle, but is it necessary to do with VHO?
Or should I go MH & VHO combo.

mr . salty

Although it's not needed,you could add one or two normal output actinic blue bulbs and fixtures to your plan.Then use these as your sunup and sundown light...But it's really not absolutly needed...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you are using a IC eballast, then you can get the solar dimmer and simulate the dawn to dusk effects. IC will retro your eballast for that, if it doesn't have it already. However, the solar is expensive.

junkf15

I'm new at this, but I just installed my new MH lights, and I LOVE THEM. I looked at all the pricing options, from PC to VHO, to MH, to every combo I could think of between them all. I found you got more watts per dollar when most of your lighting comes from MH, then supplement with NO lights in whatever spectrum you want to add to your reef. I went with 2x250 watt 12000K MH supplemented with 2 NO 50/50 lights inside a hood I built, using the PFO parallel reflector, and PFO ballast and end caps I found on ---- for under $200. The NO lighting I cannibalized from my old light bars. This gives me 580 Watts with over 90% of it PAL (photo synthetic available). The other 10% is just to wash out the blue tones so it doesn’t look like a "deep water" reef, and it lets me see all the collars of all my corals. After purchasing the bulbs, and a 4" variable speed fan, I did it for under $400, which works out to about $.69 (SIXTY NINE DUDE!) per watt. That was the lowest I could get no matter what other combinations I tried. So...my advise it to try to do it with MH and Normal Output. You can always add VHO to your hood later if you still want them.

junkf15

I forgot to mention, I mimic the dusk/dawn cycle by having the NO lights come on 15 minutes before the MH, and go off 15 minutes later. Hope it helps.