40 gal

I am trying to start a 40 gallon aggressive tank. I am thinking only one fish for this tank. What Kind of aggressives will be able to live in a 40 gallon??? I was thinking a Lion (maybe fu man chu??) or snowflake moray. but I want a cool fish so I am open to any suggestions. any shark stay small enough for a 40 gallon? or octopus?? or puffer??

Have you considered a cephalopdo i.e. octopus or cuttlefish? These are pretty cool. Cuttlefish are pretty hard to come by, but I've seen them. A matter of fact, I have a 20 gallon running just in case I come across a cuttlefish. This sounds like the begining of a good thread!

I have been looking really hard at an octopus. I would of course have to get my hands on one though. the reason I am starting this is because I am nearing the limit for my community tank and have a spare tank and I want to get the awesome fish/ octopus/ eel/ something aggressive that I am unable to put in my community tank. I just want to look at different options before I really decide on something. lets keep the Ideas comming!

itom37

I have a 29 gallon that is currently a QT that I am planning on doing something similar with. I am thinking maybe one of the small puffers (valentini or hawaiian blue spotted) and maybe a snowflake or one of the smaller lions.

redman1221

Originally Posted by Trey The Salt
I have been looking really hard at an octopus. I would of course have to get my hands on one though. the reason I am starting this is because I am nearing the limit for my community tank and have a spare tank and I want to get the awesome fish/ octopus/ eel/ something aggressive that I am unable to put in my community tank. I just want to look at different options before I really decide on something. lets keep the Ideas comming!
A octopus is fine as long as you have a secure top on it because they can escape. Sorry to say you can not put a shark in a small tank like that. You can do a eel in there if you get them small but they will get to big for that size tank. I hope this helps good luck

thanks you guys, I am pretty pumped about this tank. this is how I keep from overstocking my other tank... when one is full, start another haha. More Ideas??

Hey, thanks for the site, I am checking it out now. What kind of top do you have on your octopus Tank? I was thinking about a terrarium lid, like the metal screen with holes cut perfectly for the filter. If there is a better way I would rather go that way though.

I have looked at a couple of anglers but I don't know very much about them... what kind of habitat would be best for them?? lots of rock? How many would fit in a 40 Gallon? That is a definate option as they are interesting fish.

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by Trey The Salt
I have looked at a couple of anglers but I don't know very much about them... what kind of habitat would be best for them?? lots of rock? How many would fit in a 40 Gallon? That is a definate option as they are interesting fish.
1 angler can be kept in a tank by itself with nothing else just live rock and live sand usually.

A

azul1994

I don't think any eel can live comfortably in a 40 gallon. IMO

kanicky

I could totally wreck your idea of an aggressive tank and suggest a seahorse tank
I would think that a small Snowflake eel could go in a 40, but I'm not too familiar with eels yet.
Why not do a smaller puffer like a Valentini or another Sharpnose variety? Or even a Dwarf Lionfish?

dischirm

I dont know how much experience you have with salt water, but unless you have a LOT, my advice is to not try seahorses.
I have had saltwater tanks since I was a teenager in the dark ages (the 70's) and have had them off and on again since then with my current tank being up 3 years, and I had a difficult time keeping the water quality up.
If you want to try, then I say research research research!!