432 watts- too much for a 55?

drewdog82

I have heard that too much lighting can actually burn some of your corals, but I also know that anenomes require a lot of lighting. If I wanted to have anenomes in my tank, would it be okay to use a t-5 lighting fixture that was 8x54 for a total output of 432 watts???

turningtim

I just saw a 55 with 2-250 HQI MH's and 4- 110 VHO.
Now thats a lot of light!
No I'm not kidding. Everything had enough light I think?
I didn't see any issues with it but then again they we're gutting the tank. They sold all the corals in a day, so it couldn't have been that bad.
HTH
Tim

drewdog82

Originally Posted by TurningTim
I just saw a 55 with 2-250 HQI MH's and 4- 110 VHO.
Now thats a lot of light!
No I'm not kidding. Everything had enough light I think?
I didn't see any issues with it but then again they we're gutting the tank. They sold all the corals in a day, so it couldn't have been that bad.
HTH
Tim

You have given me lots of good advice and I was wondering what you knew about t-5 lighting???

jacknjill

t-5's are basically like VHO's, but usually have less wattage. I would go with 4 110 watt VHO's if i were you, it would be easier than 8 T-5's

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by JacknJill
t-5's are basically like VHO's, but usually have less wattage. I would go with 4 110 watt VHO's if i were you, it would be easier than 8 T-5's
Agreed and easily transferable to a larger system later on. What is the price quote on the 8 t-5 system?

drewdog82

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Agreed and easily transferable to a larger system later on. What is the price quote on the 8 t-5 system?

$400..... it's the nova extreme fixture. Do u know if this is a good fixture???

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by drewdog82
$400..... it's the nova extreme fixture. Do u know if this is a good fixture???

t-5 lighting fixture that was 8x54 for a total output of 432 watts
Don't do it unless it has other bells and whistles I don't know about. Step up to the 440 watt VHO fixture with light bulbs for less money, get more bang for your buck.
Current search yields the following:
46.5" 4 Lamp VHO Retrofit Kit (w/ ARO Model 4L ballast)
Bulb1: URI Super Actinic VHO(+$20.00)
Bulb2: URI Actinic White 50/50 VHO(+$23.50)
Bulb3: URI Super Actinic VHO(+$20.00)
Bulb4: URI Actinic White 50/50 VHO(+$23.50)
Dual_Ballast_Upgrade: $135.00 (optional)
Total without shipping. 256.00
Many LFS don't stock 46.5 inch bulbs though so keep that in mind. This one is a 440 Watt VHO system and the kind I use today, only I do have the dual ballast and can turn one set of lights on at a time if I choose. I also happen to have a dual MH lighting system as well.
Also comes in a 48 inch version. So imagine that you even have enough left over to puchase another set of light bubls or the extra ballast.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Ha, I just looked that fixture up. here is the explination.
Buy / Details 48 Inch Nova Extreme (432 Watts) Code: CUR1123
Experience a whole new level of brightness with Current's Nova Extreme, the first ever 24 hour, high output T5 lighting fixture. These high output lamps will pump so much light into your aquarium... $446.99
High output lamps? What they aren't even VHO, just HO. Go with something like my above suggestion and Like I said get more bang for your buck.
Thomas

drewdog82

Ha, I just looked that fixture up. here is the explination.
Buy / Details 48 Inch Nova Extreme (432 Watts) Code: CUR1123
Experience a whole new level of brightness with Current's Nova Extreme, the first ever 24 hour, high output T5 lighting fixture. These high output lamps will pump so much light into your aquarium... $446.99
High output lamps? What they aren't even VHO, just HO. Go with something like my above suggestion and Like I said get more bang for your buck.
Thomas

I have read that T-5's actually produce more light than VHO's as long as your tank has a depth of 2 ft. or less..????? Anyone else hear this? More Lumens?

wattsupdoc

IMO go with the t%'s but what do i know? No the T5,s are not consider vho. But they will outperform the vho's. No doubt!

Pulse start metal halide lamps have been developed that generate the same light output while drawing less current. They also have the advantage of shorter start and restrike times. Because they were developed primarily for the retail marketplace, they have improved color rendering, and maintain a more constant light output over time (called lumen maintenance).
T5 fluorescent lamps are a reasonably new technology, developed in 1995, and T5HO lamps are suitable for gym lighting. The designation means:
T = tubular shape
5 = 5/8" diameter
HO = high output, 54 watts for a four-foot lamp
These lamps have excellent color rendition and lumen maintenance, and the highest lamp efficacy, measured in lumens per watt, of all the fixtures we considered. Light quality is further improved because of its diffuse nature, which reduces shadowing. Fluorescent lamps have the additional advantage of a near-instant start, simplifying the use of occupancy sensors or other usage-based controls to reduce burn time.
cut/copy and pasted from a coolege site.

wattsupdoc

Thomas

Thomas not trying to buck ya I have alot of respect for you
.Im a newb to salt and you've heplped me. and I hope you will continue to. But however... The T5ho's do not need to be classified the same as a
T8 or T12. Thats just the lamp size.The facts as I've researched so far indicate that the T5ho's blow the vho's away. Not trying to buck or tick anyone off just trying to help. Im a liscensed master electrician and independant contrator. Now please help me check some of my other threads on these..Please!!!!

saltfan

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Thomas not trying to buck ya I have alot of respect for you
.Im a newb to salt and you've heplped me. and I hope you will continue to. But however... The T5ho's do not need to be classified the same as a
T8 or T12. Thats just the lamp size.The facts as I've researched so far indicate that the T5ho's blow the vho's away. Not trying to buck or tick anyone off just trying to help. Im a liscensed master electrician and independant contrator. Now please help me check some of my other threads on these..Please!!!!
I'll give him one thing, he's right about the lamp sizing. Its done like this. They are measured in 1/8 incriments. So a T-8 is 8/8" or a one inch dia bulb. A T-5 is 5/8" and so on.

T

thomas712

I understand the lamp sizing but how about PAR ratings, lumens don't count for much in this hobby. From my understanding NO is the least followed by HO, then VHO and PC, they are all flouresent bulbs right. So if these t-5 are only HO and cost more why not go for the VHO and save money, and get more wattage.
All those bulbs should come out with PAR ratings.

saltfan

I understand the lamp sizing but how about PAR ratings, lumens don't count for much in this hobby. From my understanding NO is the least followed by HO, then VHO and PC, they are all flouresent bulbs right. So if these t-5 are only HO and cost more why not go for the VHO and save money, and get more wattage.
True, Ture. But here is one thing not many know either. I can run NO bulbs on a VHO system at very close to VHO ratings. This would mean to most, ( PAR ) that you are able to run a 6700k lamp ( sun at noon ) on a VHO system, and keep corals and such. I don't believe that you can buy those kinds of bulbs for PC, or MH, can you?

teen

if your going to spend $400 on t-5, y dont you just look at MH? you can find a 250 watt reefstar pendant, its 16" long with hqi 14k bulb, and it came to $311 shipped.

wattsupdoc

Where do you get these par ratings? PAR is a description of a floodlight. PAR rating? Not ever heard of that. What is a PAR? We have floodlights called r-30, br-30, par-30 etc...Par is a cescripyion of the bulb. Saltfan why would you put you livestaock at risck by running a ho lamp on a vho system ???NOT a good idea. I does sound like the vho is the way to go thomas, cost being the factor. However i do believe that the T5,s will give alot more light than them.

saltfan

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Saltfan why would you put you livestaock at risck by running a ho lamp on a vho system ???NOT a good idea. I does sound like the vho is the way
? This does not put any life in jepardy what so ever. It does mean that you can run a 6700k lamp in a VHO system, added with actinics, and now you have sun at noon, with the coloration you can enjoy, wihout spending a bloody fortune on a bigger lighting system.