432 watts- too much for a 55?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Where do you get these par ratings? PAR is a description of a floodlight. PAR rating? Not ever heard of that. What is a PAR? We have floodlights called r-30, br-30, par-30 etc...Par is a cescripyion of the bulb. Saltfan why would you put you livestaock at risck by running a ho lamp on a vho system ???NOT a good idea. I does sound like the vho is the way to go thomas, cost being the factor. However i do believe that the T5,s will give alot more light than them.
Par ratings matter!!! You should do some major research!!! I'm in with the VHO's over T-5's, I use both and prefer VHO's better. :happyfish

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Juiced_RL
I have a 55 gallon with 2x250 14k MH and 2x65 PC actinic. It's perfect.
I do hope your not dealing with any heat issues. What are you keeping with those lights?? Clams?? :happyfish

juiced_rl

no clams yet I have been waiting on that one till the tank is older. I am ten months in so far. I am working on a light mix reef but about 90% is SPS acro's my favorite corals I am looking at getting a few frags of the tri color acros here very soon.
Heat issues. I have two 5" fans in the canopy one that comes on when the MH's come on that push the air across the water surface and out and another in the top of the canopy that blows cool air onto the water surface (that is only hooked up in the over 100 degree days here in AZ.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Juiced_RL
no clams yet I have been waiting on that one till the tank is older. I am ten months in so far. I am working on a light mix reef but about 90% is SPS acro's my favorite corals I am looking at getting a few frags of the tri color acros here very soon.
Heat issues. I have two 5" fans in the canopy one that comes on when the MH's come on that push the air across the water surface and out and another in the top of the canopy that blows cool air onto the water surface (that is only hooked up in the over 100 degree days here in AZ.
I'm not a big fan of acros. Maybe down the road, they just don't do nothing for me. I'm crazy about zoos though as I have 13 variety of'em and getting more. I also love the LPS corals as well, I have Pink Tip Frogspawn, Brown & White Pipe Organ, Bubble Coral, Candy Cane Coral, Pink Tip Hammer, Long Tentacle Plate, and an unknown LPS coral. I like SPS stuffs like my Green, Orange, and Purple Edge Caps. I like my Blue Millipora and Pink Pocilliopora as well. Not too crazy about my Pink Bird's Nest. I'm getting my 90g bowfront RR in order and it has been running for over a month and cycled, I just added a fish this past weekend. Going to install 2-250w SE MH 20k XM-bulbs. I plan on keeping a clam as well, we'll see what happens.... :happyfish