48" Space..Should I go for 75 or 90 Gallon?

hihikeke

What do you think? Is there any big different? I guess they both use the same kind of system, right?

angrycrab

if you are doing reef, i would do 75, because then you have some options for lighting. If you are doing FOWLR then go with the 90

S

surfinusa

deffinatly the 90 but the bigger is the better its easily to keep water quality better

agent707

Originally Posted by AngryCrab
if you are doing reef, i would do 75, because then you have some options for lighting. If you are doing FOWLR then go with the 90
This doesn't really make any sense. It's not really how deep your tank is, it's how close your corals are to your light.
A 90 is 5" taller than a 75... so your LR stack is 5" higher. Coral has same lighting cuzz it's same distance to top of tank... easy enough aye?

agent707

Originally Posted by hihikeke
What do you think? Is there any big different? I guess they both use the same kind of system, right?
I have the same limitation where I currently have an aquarium. I got a 75. If I could do it all over again, I'd get a 120.
48 x 24 x 25
Just my opinion.

3m

Originally Posted by Agent707
I have the same limitation where I currently have an aquarium. I got a 75. If I could do it all over again, I'd get a 120.
48 x 24 x 25
Just my opinion.

just a noob here but after doing the intiial install i wish already i had gone witha bigger (1.e. 120 ) tank

J

jupoc911

you will need brighter lights for corals that are placed on the bottom of the tank for the 90. I have a 75 and chose it over the 90 because I didnt not want to upgrade my old lighting system. The choice is yours though.

cgrant

Do yourself a favor a get the bigger tank, within a couple of months you will wish you did.
I have a 210 now and wish I would have just purchased it to begin with.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Agent707
This doesn't really make any sense. It's not really how deep your tank is, it's how close your corals are to your light.
A 90 is 5" taller than a 75... so your LR stack is 5" higher. Coral has same lighting cuzz it's same distance to top of tank... easy enough aye?

makes plenty of sense if you want the option of placing corals on or near the bottom or care to keep bottom dwelling corals/clams. However both 75 and 90 pretty much require something other than inexpensive off the shelf pc lighting. Most are 260watts which is barely adequate for 55g with LPS and the ones with more than 260w or with HQI are so pricey its cheaper to hang MHs yourself. With that said you might as well go 90 gallons.

J

jupoc911

440 watts is suffecient over a 90, but think how much better it would be over a 75.

agent707

Originally Posted by hihikeke
440 watt is enough for 90 gallon? And how many lbs of LR I need? and Live sand?
440 watts is plenty for a 90.
~120# LS should give you a good bed.
~140# LR +/- your taste.

maeistero

don't get a 75. a 90 is just a little bit more and you'll love the extra depth front to back. if you have doubts then get a 75 low. it uses the same stand so you can upgrade to a 90 later without changing anything else. i've had them all now up to 180 and only get the biggest i can squeeze in. :hilarious

jessecnc

Definitely go with the 90. I started with a 75, and then lucked into a 90 for nex to nothing. If nothing else the extra height means more swimming room for fish, especially tangs.