72 gallon bow front too loud

spoli

Hello all
I have a 72 gallon bow front tank that is really a little too loud.
This is a full reef set up that has been established for three years.
There is a single overflow that goes down to a 20 gallon sump.
It seems to be making a loud gurguling noise all too often.
From the sump is a red sea berlin protein skimmer and the return pump to the top of the tank. THere is also a canister filter on the system.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to quiet it down a little.
I top the tank off with ro water regularly. I usually always have little bubbles in the water that makes the tank look lightly cloudy. My water looks the clearest when the water level goes down a bit. that is the way I want it to look but i always top up to keep the overflow working.
Does anyone have problems like this. I will appreciate any responses. Thanks

ophiura

This seems to be a fairly common problem. A flushing sound? I had it too but my husband...who wants nothing to do with the tank but doesn't like the noise...went underneath and just moved the hose coming from the overflow into the filter. It was pretty long. I think there was a bit of an elbow in it that he messed with to straighten out. Anyway, no more flushing. May not be the same problem. I am assuming you have a reef ready?

stuckinfla

:cheer: WELCOME:cheer:
Do a search on Durso standpipe. I just found out what they are yesterday. You build it into the overflow to quiet it down.

I

irenicus

Can you build a Standpipe into a 72 Bowfront? I believe they have tempered glass bottoms?

tankgirl1

Originally Posted by Irenicus
Can you build a Standpipe into a 72 Bowfront? I believe they have tempered glass bottoms?

Yes, you can. My 72 bow used to have this same problem (sounded like a waterfall all of the time) until I got a durso standpipe in it. I did it myself...uber easy. You can get DIY instructions on it, go to Home Depot and get it plumbed in for <$20. Or, ghetto fix - drill a tiny hole in the top of the overflow to allow air into the pipe. The sound is being caused by accelerated water flow through an enclosed chamber, causes large bubbles to erupt in the overflow tubing...
GLUG GLUG GLUG.