A “display” refug and SH anyone done it?

devaji108

Hi getting some info as I am starting to think about Seahorses somthing that I am not just going to jump in to fast it will be a least 6 months or more…
That said I was thinking of adding a display refug to my 150gal DT 5o gal sump refuge
So the idea is a 40 breeder that sits beside and lower than the main tank. A small siphon from the DT would feed the tank. Then flow in to the sump bypassing the skimmer into the refug down there then back to the DT.
Tank would have LR, LS, mangroves and other types of macro algae. And my add a small fish from the compatibility cart.
Any thoughts on this idea, Good or bad idea to link it up to the main tank?
Love to see pics if any one has done this!

teresaq

I dont have a lot of time right this minute, but wanted to start answering this thread.
pros of adding to a lrger system would be water volume.
cons,
horses need temps of 74 and below to keep bacteria at bay.
horses are messy. you take a chance of messing up your water in your reef tank with all the extra food.
Pathogens can be transfered from your reef to your seahorse tank
I and many will say, dont do it. Its better to have your horses in a self contained system all thier own.
I will be back later. Have to take the kids to school.
T

dive girl

+1 on what Teresa said.
If you have any SPS, your water would probably not be clean enough for them to survive and of course the temperatures of a reef tank are an issue.
If you are going to go to all the trouble of setting up this 'display' refug, why not just set up a system for the horses that doesn't feed into your reef tank?

devaji108

well I was thinking of setting up a display refuge than thought it would be cool to add SH so i was going a bit of resurch...
that said looks like if I do a SH tank i will just do separate system.
was just trying to consolidate the pumps, skimmer etc