A few questions

mrme123

I just upgraded to a 150gal from a 55. it is predrilled and I got the sump set up now. I still have to buy sand. The LFS guy told me with the filter I have that all I have to do is add water. Is this true? He said to stir the sand up a little and it will filter it out. I don't know if that sounds right. Also I now have a bunch of bio balls in my filter. They are not completly submerged underwater. Do they need to be?? I did have it set up that way, but then when the power went out it overflowed.

geridoc

I'm not sure I understand all of your questions. Bioballs should not be under water, but should have water flow over them. The biochemical reactions that occur on them are very oxygen-requiring, so a thin layer of water, then air is the best situation. As for the tank itself, did you move your lr from your 55 into the new tank? Are you going to add more? Expect a cycle if you do add more lr. When I add water to a tank that has sand in it, I usually turn off the filters for a few hours until the sand settles. It is too coarse, and will clog many filter materials, and isn't good for pumps.

mrme123

Ok, I knew nothing about bio balls, so I did not know that, thanks. Yes I am going to move my live rock over, and buy some more. I havn't moved any stock yet. I am going to let it cycle and get everything rdy, no rush. And do I still do water changes? The lfs guy said I do not have to, just add water when it evaporates and stir the sand up. Do I need to vacum the sand?